Herts Network of U3As
The Herts Network is a support network between the member U3As in Hertfordshire.
1. A regular forum where member U3As can meet and discuss issues of mutual concern
2. 'Outward-facing’ Study Days on agreed topics of interest
3. 'Inward-facing’ Study Days on the management of U3As
4. Support with legal, financial and organisational queries relating to U3As
5. Sharing relevant information about opportunities for U3A participation (eg access to university lectures)
6. Organising social events such as walks, quizzes and bridge competitions
7. Assisting where appropriate in the establishment of new U3As.
An example of the ‘outward-facing’ events is the History Study Day in April 2011, with a series of expert speakers covering aspects of the 1000 Years of Hertfordshire history. The day was extremely well received and over-subscribed, leading to its repeat in Autumn 2011.
An example of the ‘inward-facing’ Study Days was the event in November 2010 devoted to Running a U3A, with talks, discussion groups and feedback sessions on the various facets of U3A management and solutions to the common challenges facing U3As. Again, this was heavily subscribed and highly rated.
The Network meets three times a year, updating members on its activities and – most importantly – providing a forum for individual U3As to discuss their successes and challenges. These meetings currently take place at Woolmer Green Village Hall, Knebworth, but alternative venues will be considered, subject to the wishes of the membership.
The Herts Network is a member of the Third Age Trust.