Meetings: October to July, 2.00pm to 4:00pm on the 3rd Tuesday of the month
Venue: Because of Covid concerns meetings will continue via Zoom until the membership are confident enough meet in person.
Geoff Worthington - firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 023 9241 3277
Steve Cook - email@example.com
David Booth is the groups accountant.
The new Havant U3A year starts on the 1st of August 2021 but in practice at our AGM on the 16th September. Those wishing to join the group should inform Geoff Worthington by email, telephone or in person at the AGM, contact details above.
Following consultation with the group membership it has been decided that we should continue to meet via Zoom until there is sufficient confidence amongst the membership to meet in person. Our first Zoom meeting of the new Havant U3A year will be on Tuesday October 12th at 2:00pm. Subsequent meetings will be on the 3rd Tuesday of each month through to June 2022.
Next Meeting: Tuesday 21st December via Zoom at 2:00pm. The subject is fortified wines, spirits, cocktails, etc.
At the time of Lockdown the groups wine account was overspent and the Denvilles Club owed us money for the cancelled meetings. The Denvilles Club have refunded £128.00 (all of what was owed) which will be held centrally by the Havant U3A Treasurer but will be available to the group when needed. The overspend on wine has been cleared by a generous donation.
The Groups Objectives
To study as many characteristics of wine and wine making as we have interest and time to cover.
- Studying the characteristics of grape varieties
- Single grape varieties and blended wines
- Legislation with respect to bottle content and labelling
- Which countries grow grapes on a commercial scale, why and how
- The relevance of terroir (soil, climate, etc)
- Seeking insight into the the complexity of the wine making processes and the effect of the wine makers decisions on the resultant product
- Quantifying what we like and don't like about a specific wine.
- Price, quality and value
- Making new friends
- Responsible drinking!