Hamble Valley


(To be read in conjunction with the Copyright Policy)

Under UK copyright law you are only allowed to copy an insubstantial amount for personal use for the purposes of private study or non-commercial research, but the law does not define insubstantial. There is no magic figure or percentage applied as each case would be viewed on the basis of the perceived importance of the extract rather than simply the quantity.

A Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA) licence allows multiple photocopies from books, journals and magazines. Extracts can be up to 5%, one chapter or one article, whichever is the greater.
The licence costs £60 and runs until 31st July each year, regardless of when you actually take it out. The National Office will send application forms to the U3As at the renewal time.
NB. It does not allow multiple copies of maps, charts, newspapers or printed sheet music including the words.

Licences for copying maps and newspapers can be purchased from the following organisations if you feel you need them
Ordnance Survey (£54.75 + VAT) – 08456 050505 – www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk
Newspaper Licensing Agency – 01892 525273 – www.nla.co.uk

There is no blanket licence available for multiple copying of sheet music; this is always illegal unless it is no longer in copyright. If you would like help and advice on obtaining copyright clearance you can look at Frequently Asked Questions on The Music Publishers’ Association website (www.mpaonline.org.uk) or contact them on 0207 580 0126.

There is also some free sheet music available on the internet at choral public domain (www.cpdl.org.uk) and this will give you links to other useful sites.


The same principles and legislation which govern copyright in hard-copy works apply to material in electronic formats. The main difference is that, by their nature, they are easy to access, copy and distribute. Information is freely available via the internet but this does not mean it is free to copy; there is a common misconception that anything on the internet is in the public domain i.e. publicly accessible and therefore free to use. A work only falls into the public domain once copyright expires. One option is to search for images published under a Creative Commons (CC) Licence. CC is a non-profit organisation that enables the sharing and use of creativity and knowledge through free legal tools. CC licences do not replace copyright but are based upon it and allow sharing for non- commercial use.


Music Licensing

Under The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, permission is needed from the relevant copyright holders – generally those people who create, record and publish music – in order to play or perform music in public. Previously, businesses and organisations had to obtain separate music licences from PPL and PRS for Music. However, PPL and PRS have now come together and formed a new joint venture, PPL PRS Ltd, that provides permission – through TheMusicLicence - to play music in public on behalf of both organisations. For more detail on PPL PRS Ltd and music licensing see pplprs.co.uk/faqs

Do I need to obtain a licence?
The University of the Third Age has a long standing agreement with PPL that enables University of the Third Age’ members to play recorded music as part of their activity groups. Although this agreement only includes the PPL element of TheMusicLicence, it will be the venue (not the group) that remains responsible for obtaining the PRS for Music element of TheMusicLicence. Therefore, University of the Third Age’ members will not need to obtain a separate music licence in order to play music as part of their activity groups.

The license covers the period January 1st to December 31st annually.


There are two commercial companies which between them license films from all the production studios: Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC) and Filmbank Media.

The Third Age Trust has purchased a licence for all the production companies covered by MPLC, a list of which can be found on their website (www.themplc.co.uk). It will start on 1st February and cover you for 12 months to show films outside your homes for both educational and entertainment purposes.

With regard to Filmbank Media, a reduced licence fee of £60.00 has been negotiated for 2019 and if you have a film club or use films in a public place, you are strongly recommended to take this out as you will then be totally covered and will not have to worry at all. For more information go to their website at www.filmbank.co.uk. The licence will commence on 1st May for 12 months. The National Office will send application forms to the U3As at the renewal time.


This covers the use of the actual lyrics and composed music in any public performance of music. It is the sole responsibility of the proprietor/manager of the premises you are using to have a licence arranged.
Further information can be obtained from the UK Copyright Service – www.copyrightservice.co.uk.

Agreed: 01/11/19
Review date: 01/11/21