Current Affairs Discussion
The Current Affairs Group meets twice a month on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month, from 10.30 am to noon, from 27th July we wil be back at St. Joseph's Hospice in Mare Street.
The group started to meet via Zoom in May last year. One of the members sets up Zoom link and acts as host. Since then, this group continued their regular fortnightly meetings and have covered a range of topics, including:
- 1st session was a general catch-up, as we hadn’t seen each other for several months
- The travel industry, and how it was being affected by the pandemic
- Black Lives Matter movement
- Rethinking the Future (in conjunction with the BBC initiative)
- Increasing influence/significance of China (COVID and otherwise)
- Citizens’ Assemblies
- Refugee crisis (Europe and Beyond)
- Results of US Presidential election
- Update on Brexit and development of COVID vaccine
- Future of International Development Fund
- Christmas traditions and some good news (last meeting in December 2020)
- 2020 Reith Lectures
- Our wishes for 2021
- Future of the US after Presidential election
- What is happening in Russia?
- Cyber attack on Hackney’s IT systems, which occurred last October
We normally choose our topic for the next meeting at the end of a session.
We have some members, who are not interested or confident about using Zoom, so our number have been smaller, usually between 4 and 6.
We have tried to keep in touch, by phone or email with members who are not joining us on Zoom.
The latest update on this is that the Group Leader has been in touch with the Hospice and has managed to book dates for face-to-face meetings in July/August/September, on 2nd and 4th Tuesdays.
From Tuesday 27th July, the group is be back to meeting in person at St. Joseph's Hospice in Mare Street. St Joseph's believes in welcoming the community in. In the past, we used to meet in the entrance room first, collect a cup of coffee and then move into the Garden Room. Afterwards most of us would have lunch in their excellent restaurant. This was pre-COVID and we hope that we can return to this routine soon.
New members welcome. For more information, please contact the Group Leader, Liz Southcombe, by pressing the link on the top right.
|More Group Pages|
|Current Affairs Discussion||Exploring London||French Films and Conversation||Italian Films|
|Long Walks||Philosophy||Pilates||Poetry Reading|
|Shorter Walks||Tai chi||Ukulele|
|More Group Pages|
|Current Affairs Discussion||Exploring London|
|French Films and Conversation||Italian Films|
|Shorter Walks||Tai chi|