Click on this link to see Photos from Everything U3A
- U3A Herm Trip/Walks
On Thursday 20th June several U3A members sailed off to our Paradise Island of Herm.
On our way across we passed the cruise ship Aurora.
Although the weather was grey to start with the sun finally showed it’s face.
When we arrived at the harbour we split into two groups, one walking the South cliff path, the other towards Shell Beach. Several puffins could be seen flying around the East coast from the cliff path. When we reached Belvoir Bay some of us stopped for a much needed coffee but the braver ones went swimming. We all made our way back across the beaches or coastal paths to meet up at the Mermaid where we had lunch in the sunshine.
This trip gave us all an opportunity to meet others that we may not have otherwise met.
I can safely say that everyone had a good day out and thanks go to Sheena Melrose and Anne Sandwith for organising the trip & walks and to Dave Lowe for the photographs.
- The Walking Group needs leaders for July, please let Bob know, via the pigeon on the group page, if you would be able to lead a walk in July.
- May Mini Golf Morning
An excellent turn out at Oatlands . The sun was shining and it looked like we were in for a good morning’s activity, for the first Mini Golf Event.
Keen members were allocated into teams of 4 and given the necessary equipment:- club, ball and scorecard, on payment of subs. Introductions were completed and they were off.
It was all very civilized with concentration muting any successful or bad shots. The rules were adhered to in some cases with an extra shot added for “putting” off the course or a water shot, relief as the number of “putts” for any hole, was limited to 5. To avoid a backlog of teams waiting to play we staggered the starting pitch with some starting in the middle and a warning that at the 18th the ball was returned, lost forever down the hole. The staggered teams needed to remember to do the missing holes before the 18th.
Gradually, the enthusiasm gained momentum as members showed off their expertise or was it luck? Shouts “hole in one”, laughter as various members encroached on another fairway, now took the place of polite conversation. Score cards were collected and inspired team names invented, as during the morning the Mini Golf Social Event had evolved into the U3A Mini Golf Challenge Cup and as is the way with U3A , new friends had been made during the morning and the members regrouped for coffee and in some cases lunch.
The Challenge Cup will be presented by the chairman at the Everything U3A Event on 21st June.
- The Sea Swimming timetable is now available on the group page. First swim on Tuesday 18th June at Port Soif, meet at 10am just below steps on right.
- After the Introduction to Padel, on 9th April, we now have a Padel Wednesday at 3pm and a Padel Thursday at 10am. Go to the Group pages for further details.
- To read the latest Newsletter click on this link Newsletter Issue 17 :05/19
- Click on the link for the latest News on Interest Groups - May 2019
Drawing Group goes from strength to strength
- We are a regular group of 12 - 14 and great progress is being made, everyone is very positive and in spite of the hard concentration needed, we have lots of laughs. We all gathered together at the Eisteddfod this year to view David Fords “tiger “ for which he was justly awarded a First Class certificate, so the aim of the group is have far more entries in next year.
|Guernsey U3A closed Facebook group|
Click on a picture below to see it full-size with more details.