Astronomy Group Programme
Because of the current COVID-19 pandemic we have cancelled all Astronomy Group Meetings at Napier for the foreseeable future.
Our next talk will be via Zoom on Wed. 14th April 2021 at 13:45 for 14:00.
Astronomy Group and Science Group Members will be sent the link nearer the time.
Thanks to George Cleland for facilitating this Zoom talk.
- Wed. 14-April-2021 “Venus Tablets of Ammisaduga” – Bruce Vickery. This is a puzzle that historians are trying to unravel using modern Astronomy principles.
Each meeting features: "This Month's Night Sky" - Alan Pickup and "Skywatch" - Tony Trewavas.
Those in the Group interested in observing the night sky are alerted by text to their mobile phones for aurora and noctilucent clouds.
Recent Previous Meetings (Available on YouTube with password. Please contact Pat Williams, Group Leader):
- Wed. 10-March-2021 "Astrophotography - how to image our beautiful night sky." - talk by Mark Phillips (ASE)
- Wed. 10-February-2021 "Juno at Jupiter" - talk by Pauline Macrae
- Wed. 13-January 2021 “Solar Storms and the Effects on Earth Communities” - talk by Prof. Ineke De Moortel
- Wed. 09-December-2020 "Spying on the Sky Spies" - talk by Russell Eberst
- Wed. 11-November-2020 "Simba Galaxy Simulations" - talk by Sarah Appleby
- Wed. 14-October-2020 "Spaceports. The Future of the Scottish Space Industry" - Matjaz Vidmar
- Wed. 09-September-2020 “The Medical Aspects of Space Travel” subtitled “Would Going to Mars Make You Mad?” – John Wrench
- Wed. 08-July-2020 "James Bradley" - talk by Bruce Vickery
- Wed. 10-June-20 "Out of Sight, out of Mind. Neutrinos, Anti-Matter and Dark Matter" - talk by Georgia March
Update (October 2020) - date of annual payment - postponed meantime.
There is normally a one off annual payment to cover the cost of a gift for the speaker and incidental expenses. Amount to be determined.
For Zoom talks kindly supply your own refreshment.
In former times tea and coffee were available at meetings.
(Tea/coffee £1.85 correct money or £2.00. Taking the lead from Lothian Buses, we do not give change. Any profit goes to the Napier Student Grant Initiative Fund. Biscuits are kindly donated by members.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -