Astronomy Group Programme
The Astronomy Group's meeting programme for 2018-19 is expected to be as follows (subject to alteration):
- 10-Oct-2018 "Our Friendly Sun-or is it?" - Ken Kennedy.
- 14-Nov-2018 "Astrobiology" - Edinburgh University MOOC (Massive Open Online Course).
- 12-Dec-2018 "Search for Life in the Universe" - lecture by Prof. Charles Cockell.
- 09-Jan-2019 "The Impact of Astronomy on Ancient Egypt" - lecture by Dr Bruce Vickery.
- 13-Feb-2019 "The Seven Sisters and their Stardust Veil" - Smithsonian DVD.
- 13-Mar-2019 "Moon Landing Hoax?" - lecture by Ken MacTaggart.
- 10-Apr-2019 "Quasars: The What, The How and the Why?" - Dr Nic Ross
- 08-May-2019 "The Magnetic Beauty of the Active Sun" - Smithsonian DVD &
- "Leviathan of Parsonstown" - a visit by Dr Geraldine Dennis.
- 12-Jun-2019 "Happy Birthday Tranquility Base " - lecture by Dr Alastair Bruce followed by "The End of Term Dinner".
- Each meeting features: "This Month's Night Sky" - Alan Pickup
- Each meeting features: "Sky Watch" - Prof. Tony Trewavas (the pick of journal articles).
• July, August and September 2019 will be taken as holidays.
- Wed. 09-Oct-2019 Start of new season.
- To study "A Visual Guide to the Universe - Smithsonian". DVD-part of The Great Courses series.
- To continue studying the Astrobiology MOOC.
- Visit to Dundee Observatory - October 2018.
- Visit to a Dark Sky Site - March 2019.
- End-of-term Dinner - June 2019.
Those in the Group interested in observing the night sky are alerted by text to their mobile phones for aurora and noctilucent clouds.
There is an annual one off payment of £5:00 or pro-rata to cover the cost of a gift for the speaker and incidental expenses. This will be collected in October.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -