Computing - the Liferaft!
This new group met five times in 2019 but has not met since lockdown. Time to get started again!
A summary of our past talks
As promised - the first subject was Online purchasing
Who should be interested?
- If you are completely befuddled about computers, tablets or smart phones, this group is for you!
- If you are too embarassed to ask your children (or grandchildren) to solve a problem that seems mountainous to you need to join us
- If you have had a computer and not even found out how to switch it on, let alone not knowing what an "APP" is, or whether you are going to be infected by a virus, bitten by a worm, or having your bank account emptied - you need to join us!
- If a well-meaning son or daughter has presented you with a tablet or smart phone and you have yet to switch it ON - you need to join us
- If broadband; email; browsing; search engines and more are just meaningless - you need to join us!
The first five meetings were very encouraging. 12 people turned up, and given that the publicity was only via the website or word of mouth that was a good turnout.
*** DOCUMENTATION ***
First document! Don't Panic - A glossary of Computing terms
This list will gradually get extended but you'll find the glossary helpful.
Go to==>Glossary to download the latest version
Next document - CYBER SECURITY
In 2016 the OU ran a great course on CYBER SECURITY. As promised, I am uploading copies of some of the course as reading matter
WEEK 1: Where can I find out more? An introduction to Cyber security
WEEK 2: Good password practice A simple checklist. And here is something to smile at: Michael
WEEK 2: Setting up 2 Factor ID How to go about setting up 2 factor identification in Google
WEEK 3: Thetsaurus An Encyclopaedic directory of online threats.
But if you are really ready to learn why not follow this free OU course?
Goto==>Intro to Cyber Security
We can even work on this as a group if you like - it needs 24 hours all told
Or you can access the course free of charge without even registering!
Simply go to==>START HERE to access Open Learn