Cowbridge

Cowbridge

Cowbridge is an attractive and historic market town. A rural town located in the Vale of Glamorgan some 12 miles West of Cardiff and 6 miles north of the Glamorgan Heritage Coast.

The population of Cowbridge is about 4,000 with 2,000 living in the surrounding hamlets and villages.

The history of Cowbridge goes back to Roman times but its first Charter was granted in 1254. At this time burgage plots, many of which remain today, were laid out and leased to responsible citizens. Town walls including four gates were built at about this time. Part of the walls, recently restored by Cowbridge Charter Trust, and the South Gate remain today.

Cowbridge was the centre of the social life of the County, particularly during the 18th century. It was at this time that Iolo Morganwg, renowned for his leading role in the 18th century cultural renaissance of Wales andĀ inventor of the present-day rituals of theĀ National Eisteddfod of Wales, established a shop in Cowbridge.

Today Cowbridge has a busy High Street lined with a mix of traditional and fashionable shops, inns and restaurants attracting many visitors to the town.

As a consequence of its long history Cowbridge has many interesting old buildings including Cowbridge Town Hall, Holy Cross Church and the Old Grammar School plus many County Treasures some of the most notable of which are in the adjacent village of Llanblethian.

Just off the High Street are two gardens maintained by volunteers. The award winning Physic Garden and Old Hall Gardens.

Cowbridge has many events throughout the year which add to the vibrancy of the town and attract thousands of visitors:

There are also regular events such as:

More Cowbridge events and general information can be found on the Cowbridge Guide website.

To learn more about Cowbridge click on the embedded links where the text is in a different colour.

Click on a picture below to see it full-size with more details.