Welcome to AWAKE u3a
Anlaby, Willerby and Kirk Ella u3a
We hope that good news is on the way. Our group leaders are bracing themselves to be able to restart some of their groups, socially distancing of course.
There are some groups that have been running on Zoom through the lockdown. If you are able to get on to Zoom and would like to join us, give me a ring or send an email and I will give you the details.
These are the groups on Zoom; Ukulele’s, Digital Photography, Coffee and Chat, Art for All, French Discussion, Wine Group, Flex and Stretch and the monthly Wednesday meeting.
Whether you are a longstanding member or someone who is wanting to find out more about the u3a, have a browse on the website and get in touch for further details. This is the way to make new friends and maybe meet old friends as well as finding new interests.
It’s never too late to Live, Laugh and Learn which is the u3a motto.
And the people stayed home. And read books, and listened,
and rested, and exercised, and made art, and played games,
and learned new ways of being, and were still. And listened
more deeply. Some meditated, some prayed, some danced.
Some met their shadows. And the people began to think
And the people healed. And, in the absence of people living
in ignorant, dangerous, mindless, and heartless ways, the
earth began to heal.
And when the danger passed, and the people joined
together again, they made new choices, and dreamed new
images, and created new ways to live and heal the earth
fully, as they had been healed.
Online Newsletters. The Committee have decided to produce a new, online version of the Newsletter, to keep you up to date with developments. Just click on this link to the Newsletters page for all the latest information.
On the Computer Group page, we have added several new features to amuse, entertain and help you. For example, we have links to some YouTube clips to make you smile and a Question and Answer section where you can get help with your computer/technical queries. We have also added a link to an online jigsaw puzzle site, and a link to a site with general puzzles such as crosswords, codewords, sudoku etc. We hope to add more items soon, but in the meantime, just click on this Computer Group link - and we hope that you like what you find there (don't miss the YouTube clips - they are guaranteed to put a smile on your face).
A growing number of museums and galleries around the world are closing, but there are some that you can visit from the comfort of your own home. You can enjoy free virtual tours at World Famous Museums, or have a virtual walk around National Parks and stunning countryside.
On the Local History Group page you will find a growing number of articles about past people and places of Anlaby, Willerby and Kirk Ella. These have been written in response to members’ questions about our local history. Other questions relating to the history of our area would be welcomed from any member of AWAKE u3a, and other visitors to our website, and we will do our best to answer them.
Coronavirus Jokes Laughing during these stressful times may seem inappropriate, but it's what we Brits do best - and laughing in the face of adversity is good for you. It helps to reduce stress and anxiety - so, if you think your sense of humour is up to it, just click onto the Coronavirus Jokes page. It may not be to everyone's taste, but you don't have to click on the link (although you will miss out on some good laughter therapy if you don't!).
Sue McPhee has provided us with a Bird Sightings page to help us through this lockdown. So, click on the link and print off a copy of the Bird Sightings document to help you keep track of the birds visiting your garden.
New - Winter Learning Programme 18/10/20 - organised through Alison May, Learning Manager of the Third Age Trust:
All initiatives are available at: Winter Learning Programme. Initiatives are intentionally released on a stagger to keep people’s interest and participation over the winter. Events which require members to book are at: Educational Events. The website will be updated regularly so members should be encouraged to keep checking these pages.
1. Programme of free talks delivered by members (currently being sourced). Talks are released on a stagger so people don’t bulk book. Talks confirmed to date:
• Mayan civilization,
• How to write your living history
• Yoga (booking not yet released)
• Bridge tutorials for beginners and improvers (booking not yet released)
• Crown green bowling (booking not yet released)
• Philosophy (booking not yet released)
• Cryptic crosswords (booking not yet released)
• Japan (booking not yet released)
• Other TBC.
2. u3a Radio Podcast – Second programme to be released 17th November.
3. Programme of ‘external’ talks. Includes to date:
• National Gallery – Life and paintings of Artemisia (£5) on 24th November
• Guildhall Art Gallery – Prerecorded talk about the Romans. Date TBC
• National Trust – History of the National Trust (free). Date TBC
• British Library – Christmas literature (free). Date TBC
• Southwark Cathedral – TBC
• National Army Museum - TBC
4. Ongoing initiatives at: Ongoing Initiatives
• u3a Eye – Fortnightly photograph challenge on a different theme each time.
• Maths challenge – weekly
• Quiz – weekly
• Birdwatch – Continuous with weekly updating
• Creative Covid Collaboration – Members create ‘squares’ to form a digital patchwork. Continuous
• Ideas to keep learning – weekly
• Diary – now closed, submissions for each week to the end of July available to read
• Creative Writing Competition 2020. Winners announced. The 13 regional winners’ stories are available to read
5. January - A series of Winter Schools are planned for 11th Jan – end of Feb 2021.
The University of the Third Age (u3a)
AWAKE u3a, along with all other u3as, sets out to provide stimulating activities for those who are retired from full-time employment. There are over 50 interest groups both large and small, including local history, walking, computer skills, French and jazz appreciation.
Monthly GENERAL meetings usually include:
- a speaker,
- interest groups updates
- time to meet other members
There is a no charge which includes tea or coffee.
These meetings are held from 2.00p.m to 4.00p.m. (14.00-16.00hrs) usually 3rd WEDNESDAY each month at St. Andrew's Memorial Hall, Kirk Ella, HU10 7QA
Currently there are over 500 members and we would welcome more new members. Annual membership is £12. Some of the interest groups make an additional small charge to cover expenses.
We are pleased to announce that AWAKE u3a has gained charitable status. Registered Charity Number 1150988 ANLABY WILLERBY AND KIRK ELLA u3a
AWAKE u3a Constitution
The new AWAKE u3a constitution was adopted by the membership on Wed 18th Aug 2021 by a unanimous vote. To view this document click the link on top right of this page or for a printed copy contact our Committee.
To view the latest newsletter from the Yorkshire and Humber Region u3a click on Yorkshire and Humber Region u3a