There are currently 44 U3As (with a total membership of over 23,000) in the London Region. Most have their own websites which you can visit by following the links below. Where the name is not self-explanatory, the main operating areas are indicated in brackets. Where the U3A does not have a web-site (Hillingdon South and Haringey) please email the Membership Secretary of London Region of U3As (see CONTACT) and ask for the contact details of the relevant U3A Chair. Dagenham is the newest U3A in the London area. Welcome to them! Currently they do not have a website. If you want to contact them then use email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. For a list of London U3As and when they were formed see here: London U3A Affiliation Dates
U3As do not recruit within neat boundaries: some have members who travel a reasonable distance along convenient transport links. Each U3A will have groups covering a range of subjects. If you have a particular topic you want to learn about you may need to shop around. Have a look at any that are near your location and contact the one that seems best suited to your requirement. Joining a U3A is relatively inexpensive and it is possible and common within London to join more than one.
U3As may belong to one or more local ‘network’ or grouping for mutual support according to their needs and requirements. For further information and inks to those networks click here: NETWORKS & OTHER GROUPINGS OF U3As
History of 'London Region' You may be interested in our history so here is what we know so far:
- Peter Sinclair (Harrow U3A) first Chairman of ‘Greater London Regional Forum’ (1994 Constitution). (500 Beacons p.194; The U3A Story p.29)
- Keith Richards (North London U3A) /Jill Moore (Merton) – dates?
- Gwen Wright (Harrow) 2011-2014 Chair of ‘Greater London Forum’ and London Region Trustee. Confusingly, GLF dropped Forum from the title, and became known as ’The London Region’ (2011 Constitution)
- Chris Feldman (Barnet) Chair of ‘London Region’ 2014-2017
- Catherine Ware (Merton) Chair of London Region which became London Region of U3As (2018 Constitution )
LR Summer School:
Gwen Wright started the LR Summer School in 2012, a year after she became Chair of ‘London Region’
Chris first became involved in 2012 along with Jo Livingston and Phyllis Rosenberg, and took over as Chair of the Summer School Sub-Committee in 2014 – he is still chairing it.