South Wales Network (SWN)
|Chairman||Derek Shottin||Vice Chairman||David Davies||Page Editor||Derek Shottin|
|Secretary||Vacant||Treasurer||Michael Young||Trust Volunteers||Denise Jones|
|Welsh Trustee||Sue Shannon Jones||Sharon Corbett|
|Third Age Trust Covid-19 Advice for u3a activities|
Abergavenny, Barry, Blackwood, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Caldicot, Cardiff, Chepstow, Cowbridge, Crickhowell, Cynon Valley, Ebbw Vale, Garth Olwg, Gilwern, Maesteg, Monmouth, Neath, Newbridge, Newport, Pontyclun, Porthcawl, Risca, Sully, Swansea, Tonyrefail, Torfaen, Tredegar, Usk.
Click on Welsh u3as to check out the web site of an individual u3a.
We are still holding monthly Zoom meetings sharing ideas and discussing Welsh Government guidelines now restrictions have eased.
Minutes of Meetings
|2021||Mins Jan 2021||Mins Feb 2021||AGM Mar 2021||Acnts AGM 2021||Mins Mar 2021|
|Mins Apr 2021||Mins May 2021||Mins Jun 2021||Mins Jul 2021||Mins Sep 2021|
|2020||AGM Jan 2020||Mins Jul 2020||Mins Sep 2020||Mins Oct 2020||Mins Nov 2020|
Links to Sub Pages
|SWN Topics||Zoom speakers, Dedicated email address, Facebook Guides, Recruitment Guides|
|SWN Peer Support Groups & Training||u3a Treasurers, Beacon Users, Site Builder Users, Facebook, Hybrid Meetings, Zoom Training|
|Network Link||Network Link Documents|
|u3a Office Website & Other Links||Advice on Covid-19, Members Link, Recruitment Toolkits, Risk Assessments and other useful information.|
|Wales u3a Website & Other Links||Wales Trustee, Wales Short Story Competition, Beacon Support. u3a Science Network|
Newsletters and Magazines of SWN u3as
|Bridgend Newsletter||Caldicot Newsletter||Chepstow Magazine||Torfaen Newsletter|
What does your u3a want from the Network?
It has to reflect what you want. Here are some ideas taken from Network Meetings, members, u3a Office website, Pathfinders, Network Link etc.
- Help u3a Trustees, Interest Group Leaders, and other volunteers, collectively share their knowledge and expertise with other u3as. Sharing best practice and discussion of issues of concern. Generally, u3as helping one another. This is a key element of the Network and should be an item on every Agenda.
- Zoom meetings. No travel or hall hire costs. So we can have more meetings including shorter more focused ones in addition to the usual General meetings.
- SWN Meetings. Eventually we will be able to go back to face to face meetings. Do we want to? Might have hybrid meetings? Perhaps we will have some Zoom and some face to face meetings?
- Peer groups - members with similar committee responsibilities. Chairs/Vice Chairs, Secretaries, Membership, Group Coordinator, Newsletters, Communications etc. To discuss their specific problems and exchange best practice. Could be one off or more regular meetings.
- Talks. Pathfinders, Wales Trustee etc.
- Study Days and Workshops run by u3a Office or SWN eg. Retention and Recruitment seminar, Websites by Wales Website editor.
- Mini seminars on topics identified by SWN u3as eg Hybrid meetings, on-line AGMs, Open Days etc. Record these sessions and put link on this website so any u3a can view them.
- Sharing of on-line and face to face activity groups. Sharing of on-line groups may help older members who are not mobile or alternatively may attract younger new members.
- Encourage u3as to arrange Inter u3a competitions. Quiz, Bridge, Mah Jong, Skittles, Badminton, Table Tennis etc.
- Encourage joint meetings of similar interest groups (eg. Photography: Cardiff and Chepstow)
- One u3a giving help and advice to start up the same group in another u3a.
- Use South Wales Trustee to channel SWN concerns to u3a Office
If your u3a has an event where other u3as are invited eg quiz, open day, study day etc, you can publicise it in Dates for your Diary below.
|All enquiries to:||SWN Information|
|Dates for your Diary|
|Mon Oct 11th|
All Wales Meeting at 2.00 pm on Zoom
|Tue Oct 12th|
Network Link Meeting - What's Ahead from 10.00 - 12.30
There will be a short Q & A after each presentation then discussion time in breakout rooms. There will be a short comfort break in the middle. We hope that you will join us for what should be an informative morning.
Please sign up by contacting Avis, by the 1st October, at email@example.com
Please include the names of attendees, their email addresses and which network they are from.
At the moment we are not limiting the number of attendees from each network.
The link to the meeting will be sent out to each attendee just before the meeting.
Your support will be welcomed.
|Wed Oct 20th||SWN Network Meeting 1.45 pm for 2.00 pm|
Click on Next SWN Meeting
|Wed Nov 10th||SWN Network Meeting 1.45 pm for 2.00 pm|
Details nearer the time.
|Fri Nov 12th|
Meeting of all SWN u3a Chairs and Vice Chairs at 10.00 am on Zoom.
Chairs and Vice Chairs of SWN u3s are invited to discuss the South Wales Network.
The Agenda will be in two parts:
The meeting will finish by 11.30 am
A Zoom link will be sent out nearer the time
|Wed Dec 15th||SWN Network Meeting 1.45 pm for 2.00 pm|
Details nearer the time.
|Wed Mar 9th 2022||Annual General Meeting - very provisional|
We are planning on a face to face meeting so we will be looking for a u3a to host the meeting. The choice of venue will dictate the time and possibly the date of the meeting.
Click on a picture below to see it full-size with more details.