U3A Site Builder: Frequently-asked Questions
Site Editing: General
- How do I put information on the site?
- You enter it on forms in your web browser. There is a menu of
options with which you choose what to do.
- I already have all the information in a wordprocessor file:
can I just copy and paste it in?
- You can, but you'll lose many of the Site Builder's useful features.
You get a better result by using the right menu options for each type
- How do I lay out my pages?
- You don't. The Site Builder isn't really a page authoring system,
but a content management system. You enter the content — the
program decides where and how to put it on the page.
- Don't I get any formatting options?
- In some page areas you can make simple tables, bulleted lists, centred
headings, bold and italic text. But most formatting is done automatically.
- What about colours?
- You create your own colour scheme by "mixing" colours and applying them
to different page areas.
- And pictures?
- You'll be able to add pictures to a site once it's
More details here.
- Can I insert HTML code?
- No — HTML tags are stripped off before any text is saved. That's to avoid
possible security "holes", and layout problems caused by mis-matched tags. Tags
for display properties like
<font> would not work anyway, as
all layout and formatting is handled by style rules.
- So the Site Builder is a bit limited?
- In that respect: yes. If you're mainly interested in visual design, or
like the freedom of writing your own HTML, you'll probably prefer different
- Then why use the Site Builder?
- Because it's specially designed to show information which is relevant for all
U3As, like their groups, meetings, and contact details.
It allows inexperienced users to start making a site fairly easily. Responsibility
for maintaining a site can be shared between several members, and the role of
editor can be periodically passed on to a new person without loss of continuity.
Back to the main FAQs page