U3A Site Builder: Frequently-asked Questions
- Can I put our U3A newsletters onto my site?
- You can attach any documents to your site once it's been
- Is there a "members only" part of the site for documents
containing personal information?
- Yes — you can load private documents into a password-protected
area so that they can be seen only by members of your own U3A.
- What's the best file format for uploaded documents?
- The most useful is
.pdf: (portable document format)
aka "Acrobat", which browsers can usually show automatically. Plain
text and HTML files are also trouble-free. Word-processor and other
office-type files are more problematic, as visitors won't necessarily
have the compatible software installed on their own computers.
- What are the size constraints?
- There's an overall upload limit of 14 megabytes for a single file,
but it's advisable to stay well below that as it will take a long time
for you to upload it and for visitors to download and view it.
- Can I upload Flash or other "movie" files?
- A better solution is to upload the movie to YouTube and use the
"embed" option on the "Admin" menu to include it on the site. In that
way you will by-pass any size restrictions, and the movie should be
viewable on any computer.
- Is there a limit to the number of uploaded files on the site?
- Not on the number of files — maybe in future on the overall
file space used. At present there is plenty of room.
- How many files per page?
- As many as you like. They'll be accessible from the page via sidebar
links. More FAQs about links are here.
- Any constraints on file names?
- File names consisting of fewer than 64 characters, and just letters
and numbers, are guaranteed trouble free. Don't
include apostrophes or quotation marks in file names — they clash
with the way those symbols are used by the Site Builder and links to the
files will not work!
Back to the main FAQs page