U3A Site Builder: Frequently-asked Questions
- Is it risky to show people's personal details on the web?
- Obviously you need to ask their permission first. Use the same
discretion as you would when circulating those details on paper.
- We only circulate details on paper to existing members!
- You can do the same on the web, by putting private documents into
a password-protected area so that only members can see them. See
Adding Documents for more information.
- If we publish email addresses, can we avoid "spam"?
- To avoid unwanted advertising via email (spam) use the
Add email menu option. Then visitors to the site will be
able to send mail to nominated adresses, but the actual addresses won't
be visible to the spammers.
- I have tried doing that but a message to the nominated address never
arrived. Why is that?
- Provided that the address was right in the first place, the likely
reason is that, because it being sent via a website, the message is
being treated as spam. Check your spam folder, and "rescue" any legitimate
messages. After a time your mail client should adjust.
- The message isn't in the spam folder either. Where has it gone?
- A few mail hosts (notably AOL) send what they think is spam back to
the originator, without giving users the chance to see it. Messages which
bounce back for that reason will be forwarded manually, but if possible
please use a more accommodating mail service.
- Can I just hit the reply button in my mail client to answer messages
sent from the web site?
- Yes — now you can!
Back to the main FAQs page