For the latest news, links and events go to the "NEWS & VIEWS" page. See button above.
That page is now a resource for us all as groups share ideas and links to keep us interested and stimulated in these remarkable and challenging times.
Back in March as the country went into lockdown the decision was made to suspend all U3A activities for the time being. Given the susceptibility due to age of many members, this was undoubtably a wise decision.
Now at the beginning of August we have been reassessing the situation, in the light of current concerns, government and U3A National guidelines, and of course a good dollop of common sense.
The U3A committee have decided the following.
1. Face to face meetings, whether in homes, groups or at St Mary’s Hall, will not be viable in the near future, and there are also difficulties with visits and outings due to transport and toilet closure issues. This may well continue until January, and possibly beyond.
2. HOWEVER, Clitheroe U3A is still active, and there has been a growing use of email and Zoom technology helping to keep people in touch.
3. From September, we plan to restart as much of our activities online as possible, in particular through the use of the Zoom programme. Zoom is an application that enables people to meet and relate visually online. Many members will already use this, together with FaceTime and Skype, to keep in touch with family and friends.
4. During August many of our Group Convenors are being taught and encouraged to become familiar with Zoom, and to begin preparing their groups to use this means of communication. Our U3A has bought a professional version, that enables up to 100 people to join, though most meetings will be much smaller. In particular we are training people how to show presentations, give talks, hold discussions and play music.
5. The minority of our members who are not online, or not confident using these type of resources, will be encouraged to “buddy-up” with another member of their group, meeting with them in their homes, with appropriate safeguards.
6. We are hoping that come September, many of our groups will be meeting online, on their normal day and time. On the 8th September, at 2pm, we will have a first online main meeting, at which Paul Fisher will give us an illustrated talk on the artist Picasso.
7. These are unusual times, which need unusual solutions. Please contact your Group Convenors to both find out about, and to contribute to this new way of meeting.
There will be further updates as we move into the Autumn, and members will also be contacted directly about developing plans.
Please take care.
U3A Clitheroe Webmaster.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you are a new visitor to this site then here is something about Clitheroe U3A:
Clitheroe U3A, with approximately 400 members, is one of over 1000 such branches in the UK and part of a national organization with over 300,000 members. The initials stand for “University of the Third Age” but, although one of its main aims is life-long learning for people of retirement age, it is also an opportunity to follow a variety of interests and social activities in a safe and friendly environment. The “Groups” page of this website lists all our special interest groups which range from learning languages to walking, dancing to dining, geology to the silk road.
In the first year membership is £15 per annum in January, reducing to £7.50 from July and £5 from September. You can download a New Membership Application Form 2020 here.
Membership renewal for existing members is £15 per annum. You can download a Membership Renewal Form 2020 here.
Membership payment can be made by cheque at meetings, but can also be made direct by Bank Transfer. If you want information on this, please click this link: BACS Payments
Membership gives many benefits including
- Monthly Meeting with invited speaker (St Mary's Centre, Church Street Clitheroe 2.30pm on the Second Tuesday of the month).
- Access to almost 30 Special Interest Groups (free of charge except for incidentals such as room hire.
- A variety of excursions run by various Groups to gardens, stately homes, galleries, theatres and other places of interest.
- Our monthly Newsletter (link on this page) and the national Magazine five times a year.
- Social events eg Xmas Dinner, a summer event and bi-monthly Coffee Mornings.
- Various Study Days and Residential Courses at local, regional and national level.
- Free Legal Advice
If you are interested then come along for a chat at the coffee mornings or come to the next monthly meeting (£2.50, refundable on joining). Alternatively you can print and send the New Membership Application Form 2020 by clicking the link in the second paragraph above.
The Committee recently agreed a Code of Conduct for members. This can be found in the links above right.
Following the AGM on the 4th February 2020 we welcome the new Committee: some familiar faces and some new recruits. Photos of the current Committee are below, hover over these pictures for job titles. For a full list of Committee Members and hangers on and descriptions of their roles, please click the Committee Page (button above). The Minutes of the Committee (in date order) are also on the Committee Page.
The Chairman's Report for 2019 given at the 2020 AGM, from our retiring Chair Jenny Grimes is available from the News and Views page.
Go to the NEWS AND VIEWS page for the latest news about what's happening in our U3A: accounts and photographs of recent events and outings, information about new groups and courses plus lots more.
Information about individual Groups is on the GROUPS page and future Monthly Meetings are listed on the EVENTS Page.
Our latest MONTHLY NEWSLETTER is always available via the link on the right of this page.The latest NW REGION NEWSLETTER is also available online. It has details of NW Regional events such as meetings and courses. Just subscribe for your own email copy monthly (free!!) For national events such as National Conferences and Summer Schools look on the "U3A" page of this website or the listings on our "Events" page.
OTHER LOCAL U3As We now have a formal agreement with neighbouring U3As (Burnley, Longridge, Hyndburn and Todmorden) which allows us to share activities and meetings. Please see our new "LOCAL U3As" page by clicking the Tab at the top of this Page.
I welcome any news items, photographs, views or comments for inclusion in our Website. Just e-mail me via the Contact Page. You can also send an email to any of the Committee or Group Leaders via the Contact Page and it will be forwarded promptly. (Frank Taylor, Webmaster)