Clitheroe

Committee Members and Minutes

(For minutes of AGM and Committee Meetings, see further down the page...)

1.U3A Officers and Committee Members 2020
Chairman:Alison Hoyle 2022
Vice Chairman:Marjorie Taylor 2021
Vice Chairman:Janet Elliott 2022
Secretary:Eileen Narain 2022
Treasurer:Paul Fisher 2022

,,

2.Committee Members
Groups Co-ordinator:Philip Bradshaw 2022
Membership Secretary:David Grimes 2023
Immediate Past Chairman:Jenny Grimes 2021
Newsletter Editor:Pauline Hutchinson 2021
Speakers Secretary:yet to be decided.
Committee members:Julie Bradshaw 2022 & Jayne Graham 2023
Committee members:Gill Kilbey 2022 & Liz Wolstenholme 2022
Committee Members:Robin Taylor 2023 & Roy Gonsalves 2023
Co-opted Members:Julie Whitehead

,,

3.Committee Support Team
Special Events:Marjorie Taylor & Gill Kilbey
Refreshment Co-ordinator:Marjorie Taylor & Janet Elliott
Webmaster:Frank Taylor
ICT Support Team:Jonathan Pickup & Stan Unsworth
Publicity Officer:Mary Ann Renton

,,

4.Vacancies Committee or Support

If you need to contact the above there are some details on the back of the monthly Newsletter. Otherwise send an email via the "Contact Us" Page of the Website and it will be forwarded.

Précis of Committee Role Descriptions
– from September 2016

Chairman
The Chairman provides leadership and ensures that the charitable objectives and guiding principles of the U3A are maintained.

Key tasks include Chairing Committee Meetings and the AGM and hosting the General Meetings. The Chairman also represents Clitheroe U3A at Local/Regional and National Events as required. An important role is to listen to members and respond to concerns and suggestions.

Vice-Chairman
The Vice Chairman is there primarily to provide support and backup to the Chairman at all times and to deputise for the Chairman when required.

General responsibilities include organising volunteers, keeping updated Meet and Greet Teams, Reception Teams and the Refreshment Team Rota, always liaising with the Newsletter Editor and organising the refreshments for the monthly coffee mornings.

Treasurer
The Treasurer:
• Receives and banks all income including Membership and Group Activities.
• Is responsible for the payment of bills through a Cheque Book account, including fees to The Third Age Trust, equipment purchase and Group Activities.
• Reconciles income and expenditure with bank account statements and reports to the Committee on the state of U3A finances.

Secretary
The Secretary is the person most involved in the practical organisation of the U3A. The Chairman and Secretary need to work closely together to ensure that correct procedures and effective communication are in place.

Groups Co-ordinator
The Groups’ Co-ordinator has two main roles.
• Advising and helping new interest groups to set up.
• Assisting the smooth running of existing groups.
Responsibilities include:
• Keeping the Group Conveners’ Handbook up-to-date.
• Maintaining accurate records of: contact details, meeting times of groups & availability of meeting rooms.
• Upholding the U3A ethos of collaborative learning.

A key part of the role is acting as a channel of communication between Group Convenors and the Committee.

Group Convenor
The Group Convenor takes a leading role in co-ordinating the activities of an Interest Group and is the link with the Groups’ Co-ordinator. A key responsibility is encouraging members to plan and lead activities that help the Interest Group to be lively and dynamic.

Membership Secretary
The Membership Secretary ensures that accurate and up to date records of membership are kept. This role can be shared and requires the holder(s) to be computer literate and to be able to be present at Monthly Meetings.

Programme (Speaker) Secretary
The Programme or Speaker Secretary ensures that there is a variety of speakers at Monthly Meetings and actively seeks potential speakers through networks with other U3As and appropriate organisations.

Newsletter Editor
The Newsletter Editor ensures that the membership is kept updated with local and national news. Thee monthly newsletter is a vital source of information to all members and is a way of publicizing the work of U3A to the local community and to local U3As.

ICT Co-ordinator
The ICT Co-ordinator oversees all (technical) equipment used for learning both at the monthly General Meeting and within the groups. A team is being developed to share these responsibilities. To ensure that General Meetings run smoothly, the sound system and projection equipment are set up before meetings and packed away afterwards. Group Convenors are supported in the provision and effective use of equipment, which has been provided in agreement with the committee. Training is available on request.

Publicity Officer
The Publicity Officer helps to raise the profile of the U3A and ensures that information is widely available so that people are aware of the positive benefits of the U3A and how they can become a member.

Key tasks include establishing local contacts for the dissemination of information, submitting brief reports to the Clitheroe Advertiser and Times and liaising with the Webmaster, Programe Secretary and Newsletter Editor to publicise events.

Refreshment Co-ordinator
The Refreshment Co-ordinator oversees the serving of refreshments at all the monthly meetings

Special Events Sub-Committee
The Special Events sub-committee arranges Events as agreed by the Committee including an annual Christmas Lunch and Summer Event and is involved with identifying appropriate venues and entertainment.

Webmaster
The Webmaster controls the web content and is responsible for maintaining and developing the website and keeping it up to date. The website is a vital source of information to members and the wider community.

Full Role Descriptions are available on request from The Secretary.

.....................................................................................................
Minutes of the U3A Clitheroe Committee Meeting
held at Clitheroe Golf Club on 12th March 2020

Present: Philip Bradshaw (Groups Co-ordinator/IT Co-ordinator), Janet Elliott (in the Chair), Paul Fisher (Treasurer), David Grimes (Membership Secretary), Jenny Grimes , Eileen Narain (Business Secretary), Roy Gonsalves, Frank Taylor (Webmaster) Liz Wolstenholme
Attending as observer: Julie Whitehead

1. Apologies
Apologies were received from: Julie Bradshaw, Jayne Graham, Alison Hoyle, Pauline Hutchinson, Gill Kilbey, Marjorie Taylor

2. Minutes of the previous meeting
The Minutes were accepted and duly signed by the Vice Chairman, Janet Ellliott.

3. Matters Arising from the previous minutes
3.1 Code of Conduct (3.8) – It was confirmed that the Code of Conduct has been placed on the website and on the Powerpoint at the general meeting. It was agreed that it should remain on the Powerpoint as a standing item.
3.2 U3A Day (3.9) – It was confirmed that the Swan & Royal had been booked for the morning of 3rd June 2020.
3.3 Reception/Refreshmentsrota-theActingChairmanconfirmedthatshehadsent reminders to members on the rota and that the rota was now on the website. The rota remains broadly the same as last year. Janet will send reminders on a month by month basis, and names for the following month wil be published in the Newsletter.

4. Correspondence
4.1 Committee members had received:-
National Newsletters: January and February 2020
NW Regional Newsletter: December 2019
Notice of National AGM (27th August 2020) and Minutes of 2019 AGM National Mailing January 2020 – changes to TAM contribution Information on the Coronavirus from TAT x 4
Finance News – Riviera Travel
4.2 Coronavirus - The Committee had an extensive discussion on the issues raised by the coronavirus threat.
Decision:
• The Committee will wait to hear from National Office after today's government Cobra meeting.
• It was agreed that should there be a need to cancel general meetings, group convenors will be informed that group meetings should also be cancelled.
• Cancellation would be for 2 months initially with a review taken after that with the possibility of further cancellation.
• If cancellation takes place the Membership Secretary will inform all members via email or post, the Groups Co-ordinator will also inform the group convenors and remind them that insurance will be void if groups do meet against the advice of the Committee.
• Group convenors will need to inform their venues of the any cancellation and the Business Secretary will inform St Mary's Centre.
• Other arrangements may be needed for the May Committee meeting.
4.3 U3A Brand Guidelines – Philip Bradshaw informed the Committee that he had downloaded a document from the national website concerning the U3A logo.
◦ It was noted that the word University had been removed from the strapline of the logo and replaced by the words 'Learn, laugh, live'.
◦ It was also noted that the national office recommended the use of the Tahoma font in communications.
Action: Philip will circulate the agreed simple logo and also one with our Charity Commission number to members of the Committee for future use.

5. Treasurer’s Report
5.1 The Treasurer presented the accounts for January and February 2020 together with the new summary. (Copy in the Minutes folder)
The balance at the bank on 29th February 2020 was £7939.
5.2 Some discussion took place concerning the effects of the cancellation of group trips because of the coronavirus threat. It was noted that refunds may be necessary.
5.3 Wine Appraisal costs – It was agreed that the Wine Appraisal Group Convenor should purchase new wine tasting glasses at a cost of £25.

6. Membership Secretary’s report
6.1 Attendance at the February and March 2020 meetings was 118 and 111 respectively. (Copy of report in the Minutes folder).
6.2 The Membership Secretary informed the committee that membership now stands at 404 taking account of new members and members choosing not to renew for various reasons. This number also includes 21 people who have not yet responded to reminders to renew their subscriptions. Final reminders have been sent out this week.
6.3 Some discussion took place concerning notices of members' deaths in the Newsletter.
Decision:
Notices / obituaries should not be put in the Newsletter without the permission of
the deceased's family.
In general the entry should be in the form of a 'Fond farewell to ....'
The Committee considered that some mention of Alan Brookman should be made in the Newsletter as he was a past Chairman. Jenny Grimes will speak to Margaret Brookman to seek her permission for this.

7. Programme Secretary’s report
The Business Secretary reported that Jean Hart had booked speakers up until August 2021 so there was no urgency to find a new Programme Secretary but she did ask members to consider taking on this responsibility. In the meantime she will contact speakers to confirm their booking and make arrangements for their visit and Jenny Grimes will look after them on their arrival.
It was agreed that the Progamme Secretary should be a member of the Committee.

8. Group Co-ordinator’s report
8.1 Group Convenors meeting – Philip reported that the meeting had been very successful.
8.2 Group List – Philip reported that he had prepared an updated Group List and information trifold for the website.
8.3 New group – Philip reported that there has been a proposal for a Musicians group.
8.4 French group - the French group will now meet in Clitheroe Fire Station
8.5 East Meets West - there was some confusion over the future of this group. The current subject will come to an end soon but there may be future sessions with a new subject.
Action: Frank Taylor will email Val Moreland (Convenor) asking her to suggest a title for the future sessions and when this is likely to start so that he can put the information on the website.

9. Reports from Sub-Committees
9.1 Constitution Revision sub-committee – Eileen reported that she will reconvene this sub-committee shortly. She has emailed National Office with some questions but has not yet had a reply. Jenny and Eileen will be meeting the Cluster group at Longridge next week and as Longridge have revised their constitution recently they will ask their advice.
The sub-committee includes Janet Elliott, Julie Bradshaw (in the interim receiving papers etc and advising), Sue Walton, Alison Hoyle, Eileen Narain.

10. Reports from other meetings
10.1 Jenny Grimes reported that she had had a meeting at UCLAN with Keith Vernon of the Department of Humanities and others. UCLAN Department of Humanities would like to have some form of connection with U3A but there was no specific offer.
Action: Jenny to write to Keith Vernon at UCLAN to ask for a specific offer that the Committee can consider.

11. Special Events
11.1 U3A Day 3rd June 2020 – Liz Wolstenholme reported that Marjorie Taylor had booked the Swan & Royal for the coffee morning and had booked Megabites for cakes. Megabites will need to be recontacted nearer the time. Eileen will speak to Mary-Ann Renton about advertising the event.
11.2 Summer Event - 21st July 2020 – Liz reported that the Shireburn Arms has been booked and the cost would be £20 per head.
Decision: It was agreed that members would be charged £20 and non-members £25. The speaker's fee and meal and the tip for the staff would be subsidised from U3A funds.
It was requested that the question on the booking form asking with whom members would wish to sit should be re-instated as there had been some complaints after the Christmas meal from people who were sitting on tables where they knew no-one.
The Treasurer confirmed that members could pay by card at general meetings and he would produce slips with a reference for those who wished to pay by BACS.
It was re-iterated that payments by cash should be discouraged
Action: Frank Taylor will put an item on the website encouraging members to make payments by bank transfer using an identifiable name and payment reference. Paul Fisher will write a note for Frank to this effect.

12. Publicity/website/newsletter
12.1 Website – Frank reported that most of the interest groups had updated their annual details.
Decision: It was agreed that Frank should use his discretion about which contacts made through the website should be passed onto the Committee.
12.2 Newsletter – There was some discussion about the Newsletter in the event that meetings may have to be cancelled because of the coronavirus threat.
Decision: It was agreed that a shortened version may be produced giving key information and pubished on the website. Information could also be sent to members via the group convenors.

13. AOB/ Future agenda items
13.1 National AGM August 2020 – Marjorie and Robin Taylor have volunteered to attend the National AGM.
13.2 Co-option – The Business Secretary proposed the co-option of Julie Whitehead onto the Committee. This was seconded by Jenny Grimes and passed unanimously.

14. Date of next meeting: Thursday 14th May 2020

.....................................................................................................

Minutes of the Twenty Second Annual General Meeting
Tuesday 4th February 2020

1 Apologies: JulieBradshaw,PhilipBradshaw,MargaretCunliffe,PeterCunliffe,SylviaFoster, Harold Foster, Kate Hamlin, Pauline Hutchinson, Anita Kellington, Noreen Oakley, Anne Parker..

2 The membership approved the appointment of two tellers for the meeting: Jayne Graham and Roy Gonsalves.

3 Minutes of the 21st AGM had been circulated prior to the meeting. Beverley James proposed that they be accepted, seconded by Alan Baker. This was carried.

4 The Chairman, Jenny Grimes, gave her report, a copy of which is to be found in the Minutes Folder and on the website. Jenny’s report, as well as outlining the many activities being undertaken by the organisation, gave thanks to the many people who go towards making it a success; this included committee members, special event organisers, the support team, group convenors and staff at St Mary’s Centre, and in particular to Mary Ann Renton who recently volunteered to act as Publicity Officer. There was mention also of members’ attendance at regional and national events as well as summer schools.

5 The Treasurer presented his report, a copy of which is to be found in the Minutes Folder. A new bank account was opened on the insistence of our bankers, Lloyds, to make it more suitable as a business/charity account. There were initial 'teething' problems but these have been resolved. This year we have invested in capital equipment such as a new Apple laptop to replace a 7 year old machine, and a radio microphone for use in the monthly meetings.
The accounts have been prepared in accordance with the relevant requirements of the Charity Commission and have been reviewed by an independent examiner and agreed by the committee and membership. Total income is below the limit where an independent examination of the accounts is required by a fully qualified auditor.
Details of income and expenditure can be found on the U3A Clitheroe website. The bank balance at the end of the year was £4,923.00. It is intended that the reserves will be reduced further to circa £3000.00 per year in line with U3A National guidance.

6 Jayne Graham proposed and Gill Kilbey seconded the approval of the examined accounts. This was carried.

7 Paul Fisher proposed and Jayne Graham seconded the appointment of Emily Watkin, Treasurer of Todmorden U3A, as Independent Examiner of accounts. This was carried.

8 The Groups Co-ordinator's Report A booklet (copy of which in the Minutes Folder and on the website) containing reports from each of the interest groups – 30 in total, was distributed. As Philip Bradshaw was unable to attend the meeting the Secretary read out a report from him. Philip commented on the wide range of interests covered by the existing groups but acknowledged that there were gaps and encouraged members to come forward with ideas for new groups. He expressed his gratitude to new group convenors who had come forward during the year to take over the running of groups where long-standing convenors had decided to stand down, and also to group members who had rallied round in groups where illness had been an issue.
Jenny expressed her thanks to Philip and all the Group Convenors.

9 Election of Officers and Committee 2020 There being no other nominees, Jenny Grimes was pleased to confirm the newly elected members of the committee: Alison Hoyle (Chairman), David Grimes (Membership Secretary) and Committee members: Jayne Graham, Roy Gonsalves and Robin Taylor Those committee members remaining in post: Jenny Grimes (Immediate Past Chairman), Janet Elliott (Vice Chairman), Marjorie Taylor (Vice Chairman), Paul Fisher (Treasurer), Eileen Narain (Business Secretary), Pauline Hutchinson (Newsletter editor), Philip Bradshaw (Groups Co-ordinator), Julie Bradshaw, Gill Kilbey and Liz Wolstenholme.

The Chairman gave thanks to Jean Hart and Janet Rudd who were stepping down and the membership showed their appreciation in the usual way.
Jenny called upon the new Chairman, Alison Hoyle, to say a few words. Alison commented that is was an honour to take over as Chairman of a wonderful organisation and proposed a vote of thanks to Jenny for her hard work and leadership over the past two years. The membership showed their appreciation of Jenny in the usual way.

The date of the next AGM will be February 2021, exact date to be confirmed.

The meeting closed at 3.02 Eileen Narain

COMMITTEE MINUTES

Minutes of the U3A Clitheroe Committee Meeting
held at Clitheroe Golf Club on January 16th 2020

Present: Philip Bradshaw (Groups Co-ordinator/IT Co-ordinator), Janet Elliott (Vice Chair), Paul Fisher (Treasurer), David Grimes (Membership Secretary), Jenny Grimes (Chair), Jean Hart (Speakers Secretary), Alison Hoyle, Eileen Narain (Business Secretary), Janet Rudd, Marjorie Taylor (Vice Chair), Liz Wolstenholme
Attending as observers: Roy Gonsalves, Jayne Graham, Julie Whitehead

1. Apologies
Apologies were received from: Julie Bradshaw, Gill Kilbey
The Chairman asked Philip to convey the Committee's continuing best wishes to Julie.

2. Minutes of the previous meeting
The Minutes were accepted and duly signed by the Chairman, Jenny Grimes.

3. Matters Arising from the previous meeting
3.1 See Around Britain (3.1) – the Business Secretary confirmed that the site had been advertised on the overhead at the general meeting and that she had asked the Webmaster to advertise it on the U3A website.
3.2 Publicity Officer (3.2) – the Business Secretary reported that Mary Ann had requested she be sent the Agenda and Minutes of committee meetings.
3.3 Health App (4.3) – It was agreed that this should be advertised on the Regional Noticeboard.
3.4 Balance Sheet for all Organised Activities (5.2) – The Groups Co-ordinator reported that this had been circulated to Group Convenors.
3.5 Online payment (BACS) (5.5) – The Membership Secretary confirmed that the relevant documents had been circulated and the Treasurer confirmed that a large number of members had renewed their subscriptions using this method.
3.6 IT purchases (8.2-8.4) – The IT Co-ordinator reported that these purchases had been made and were successfully in use.
3.7 Role descriptions (9.1) – The Business Secretary confirmed that these had been circulated and she had received revisions for the Treasurer and IT Co- ordinater roles.
Decision: The revisions were agreed as seen.
3.8 Code of Conduct (9.3) – The Membership Secretary reported that this had been added to the forms for new members. There was some discussion about how to inform existing members of the Code of Conduct
Action: The Code of Conduct will be put on the Powerpoint at the General Meeting and on the website – Eileen to send to Philip and to the Webmaster.
The Chairman will inform members at the AGM that by subscribing to the U3A they are agreeing to abide by the Code of Conduct.
3.9 U3A Day 3rd June 2020 Coffee Morning (11.2) – Marjorie reported that the landlord of the Swan & Royal in Clitheroe had offered very favourable terms for the use of the function room.
Action: Marjorie to book the Swan & Royal for the morning of 3 June. Cakes and biscuits to be served.
Philip will inform the Group Convenors and ask them to prepare items to showcase their group.
Eileen will ask Mary Ann to advertise the event in the press media and possibly radio.
3.10 Christmas Lunch 2019 (11.1)
Decision: That a cheque for £50 should be sent to Stephen Monks for travelling expenses for the Great Harwood Ukelele group who performed at the Christmas lunch
3.11 Summer Event 2020 – It was agreed that there should be a summer event on 21st July.
Action: The Special Events team should investigate possible venues and speakers/performers for the summer event, with a limit of £250 for the speaker/performer.

4. Correspondence
Committee members had received:-
National Newsletters: November and Dec 2019 NW Regional Newsletter: December 2019

5. Treasurer’s Report
5.1 The Treasurer presented the accounts for November and December 2019. (Copy in the Minutes folder)
5.2 The Treasurer presented the final consolidated accounts for 2019. (Copy in the Minutes folder)
The balance at the bank was £4,924 at 31st December 2019.
5.3 It was noted that the reduced balance was in line with the recommendations of the National Office. £1785 had been spent on IT equipment this year. It was agreed that this has been a worthwhile expenditure.
5.4 Paul reported that Emily Watnik, Treasurer for U3A Todmorden would be auditing the accounts on 24th January.
5.5 It was agreed that the annual subscription of £15 should be held for the moment but may be reviewed in the future.
5.6 Paul reported that he would like to change the format of the accounts sent to the Committee to a simpler format. In January he would do this in parellel with the usual format.

6. Membership Secretary’s report
6.1Attendance at the December 2019 and January 2020 meetings was 103 and 136 respectively. (Copy of report in the Minutes folder).
6.2 The Membership Secretary informed the committee that membership now stands at 403 taking account of new members and members choosing not to renew for various reasons.
6.3 David reported that the renewal process had generally worked very well with a number of members paying in advance by bank transfer. There are still a lot of cash payments and it was agreed that this should be discouraged in future. Three cheques had been made out to U3A rather than U3A Clitheroe.
6.4 David thanked those who had helped with the renewal process.
6.5 David reported that he would put an item in the Newsletter about Simon Westhead, a member who had died recently.

7. Programme Secretary’s report
7.1 A list of Speakers with Fees for 2019/20 and for 2021 was circulated with the Agenda.
7.2 Janet reported that someone would be needed soon to organise the pre- meeting arrangements with speakers.
7.3 The Chairman thanked Jean and Janet for all their hard work.

8. Group Co-ordinator’s report
8.1 Group Convenors meeting – Philip reported that all was in hand for the meeting.
8.2 Ribble Arts Development Officer – Philip reported that he had received a message from the RADO informing him that she was trying to collate information about Arts classes / groups etc in the Ribble Valley.
Decision: It was agreed that Philip should reply giving information about the Art Appreciation and Painting groups.

9. Reports from Sub-Committees
9.1 Planning and Succession sub-committee - The Committee noted that arrangements for the AGM 2020 are in hand. Paul requested that only a summary of the accounts (which will have been audited) be put on the powerpoint for the AGM rather than the detailed accounts.
Decision: That a summary only of the accounts be put on the powerpoint at the AGM and the details be placed on the website.

10. Reports from other meetings
10.1 The Chairman reported that the will be going to a meeting later this month organised in conjunction with the new U3A West Pennine Villages and UCLAN's Health and Humanities department and would report back to the Committee at the next meeting.

11. Special Events
11.1 U3A Day 3rd June 2020 – this was dealt with under 3.9

12. Publicity/website/newsletter
12.1 Refreshments rota - Janet Elliott reported that she had revised the refreshments rota and would send to Frank Taylor to place on the website and also to the Groups Co-ordinator for the Group Convenors meeting. There was some discussion about how best to ensure that groups are able to fulfil their responsilibility for ensuring some of their members were available on the day.
Decision: Group Convenors will be asked to put this responsilibity into their monthly programme of events.

12.2 The Newsletter Editor reported that information for group activities was being received on time but that items were sometimes needed especially for the back page. The Business Secretary said that she would be sending Pauline the AGM Agenda for the back page of the February edition. The Groups Co-ordinator said that he would remind group convenors to consider sending items to Pauline.

13. AOB/ Future agenda items
13.1 Reception rota – Janet Elliott (Vice Chairman) confirmed that this was the responsibilty of the Vice Chairmen and that some changes had been made recently due to changes of circumstances for some of the members on the current rota. There was some discussion on how best to publicise the rota.
Action: To place the new rota on the website and in the newsletter. The Membership Secretary will contact members on the rota to seek their permission to give their contact details to the Vice Chairmen in order that reminders can be sent to them.
13.2 Noticeboards – Philip will remind convenors of the necessity of checking the noticeboards on a regular basis and of keeping them up to date. The group programme for the year should be on the noticeboard.
13.3 Constitution revision – Eileen confirmed that she will be calling a meeting of the sub-committee soon after the AGM.

Jenny expressed her thanks to the members of the committee for the support given to her during her chairmanship and wished Alison well for her chairmanship.
The Committee expressed their thanks to Jenny for all her hard work over the past two years.

14. Date of next meeting: Thursday 12th March 2020

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minutes of the U3A Clitheroe Committee Meeting
held at Clitheroe Golf Club on November 14th 2019

Present: Philip Bradshaw (Groups Co-ordinator), Janet Elliott (Vice Chair), Paul Fisher (Treasurer), David Grimes (Membership Secretary), Jenny Grimes (Chair), Jean Hart (Speakers Secretary), Alison Hoyle, Gill Kilbey, Eileen Narain (Business Secretary), Janet Rudd, Marjorie Taylor (Vice Chair), Liz Wolstenholme
Attending as observers: Roy Gonsalves, Jayne Graham

1. Apologies
Apologies were received from: Julie Bradshaw

2. Minutes of the previous meeting
The Minutes were accepted and duly signed by the Chair, Jenny Grimes.

3. Matters Arising from the previous meeting
Matters arising not otherwise on the agenda
3.1 See around Britain website(3.2)-The Membership Secretary reported he ad not as yet contacted the Newsletter Editor and Webmaster to advertise this site.
Action: The Business Secretary undertook to do this.
3.2 Publicity Officer(12.2)–The Committee received the revised role description
for Publicity Officer.
The Chairman reported that Mary Ann Renton had volunteered to act as Publicity Officer and expressed the Committee's gratitude to Mary Ann for taking this on.
Decision: To invite the Publicity Officer to attend Committee meetings as a non voting member.
There was some discussion with regard to the capacity of our U3A. An article in TAM was referred to whereby it was recommended that U3As should not restrict their membership.
3.3 Membership Numbers (12.1) – The Membership Secretary reported that he had created membership numbers but in consultation with the Treasurer had decided that these were not necessary at this stage but would be re-established if it was decided to adopt the Beacon system.
David further reported that membership renewal forms were normally inserted in the Newsletter but as members do not always attend the general meeting where newsletters are mainly distributed this method did not always reach all existing members. It is important that in view of the new payment methods all members should receive the form. He proposed to send the form electronically to the 350 members with an email address and to post it to the rest.

4. Correspondence
Committee members had received:-
National Newsletters: September and October 2019 National Mailings: Interest Groups
NW Regional Newsletter: October 2019
Matters arising from the above correspondence
4.1 It was noted that information on a national U3A Day had been included in the September and October 2019 National Newsletters. It was intended that the day be marked by celebrating and showcasing what happens in U3A. The Committee will consider this later in the agenda.
4.2 It was noted that there were reports of other U3As having had problems with paying monies into their accounts.
4.3 It was noted that the NW region had collaborated with ORCHA to put in place a library of health apps for members to search, download and use.
Decision: The Business Secretary will circulate the item to the Committee for consideration at the January 2020 meeting.

5. Treasurer’s Report
5.1 The Treasurer presented the accounts for September and October 2019. (Copy in the Minutes folder)
The balance at the bank was £7,949 on 31st October.
5.2 Balance Sheet for all Organised Activities - Paul circulated a form for use by Group Convenors and those organising activities for which payment is required.
Action: That the form be circulated to the Group Convenors by the Groups' Co-ordinator to be used from January 2020.
5.3 Card Reader for payments - Paul reported that he had acquired a card reader which is linked to his phone. Payment can be either contactless or the card inserted into the reader. It is hoped that members can be encouraged to pay for membership renewal or other activities by this method in order to avoid having to deal with lots of cash, to avoid mistakes being made with cheques, and eventually to speed up the process and simplify procedures for the Treasurer. Paul will need to be in attendance when this method is used.
5.4 Renewal of membership - When paying by card to renew membership members will go to Paul to make the payment and he will give them a receipt which they can take to a member of the Committee to collect their membership card.
5.5 Online payment (BACS) – Paul circulated a paper detailing instructions on how members can pay online.
Action: The Membership Secretary to send relevant documents (membership renewal form and online payment instructions) to members.
5.6 Handling of cash – It was noted that it is permissible for group convenors or organisers of trips to pay cash into their own banks and then send their own cheque to the Treasurer or pay into the U3A account online as long as the details are itemised and reconciled on the Balance Sheet.

6. Membership Secretary’s report
Attendance at the October and November meetings was 129 and 99 respectively. (Copy of report in the Minutes folder). The Membership Secretary informed the committee that membership now stands at 403.
David called for volunteers at the general meetings in January and February to help with the renewal of membership process. The following volunteered:-
Jean Hart, Gill Kilbey, Janet Rudd, Liz Wolstenholme, Marjorie Taylor, Janet Elliot and Eileen Narain.

7. Programme Secretary’s report
7.1 A list of Speakers with Fees for 2019/20 and for 2021 was circulated with the Agenda.
7.2 Jean reported that the latest speaker, Paul Isherwood, had offered to give a talk entitled 'The Buff Butler'. The Committee declined.
7.3 She had received a communication from Donna Roe Green who is a horticultural therapist.
Decision: That she should be referred to the Gardening group and if suitable may be considered in the future for a General Meeting.
7.4 Jean also reported that she had received a communication from David Bell who had a website entitled The Plague Doctor.
Decision: That Jean should go ahead and book David Bell at a fee of £105.

8. Group Co-ordinator’s report
8.1 Postponed Group Convenors' meeting - The Groups Co-ordinator reported that a new date for the meeting had been arranged for 20th February 2020, the Clitheroe Cricket Club had been rebooked and that the catering had been booked with Megabites of Clitheroe as Blueberries were unavailable that week.
8.2 New laptop – Philip reported that he had investigated the cost of a new laptop and invoices had been circulated to the Committee. There was some discussion on the merits of each laptop.
Action: That Philip should purchase the Macbook Air at a cost of approximately £1200 and to also purchase the hub required to facilitate an external DVD drive.
8.3 Microsoft365 – Philip reported that he subscribes to Microsoft365 updates on a monthly subscription of £7.99 which includes software updates and security updates on a perpetual basis. Microsoft has a not for profit scheme for charities which costs £2.30 per month.
Action: That Philip should go ahead with a subscription to Microsoft 365 updates.
8.4 PA system – Philip circulated details of microphones, both hand held and head set. The Committee agreed that a hand held microphone would offer more flexibility. There were two hand held microphones costing £149 and £257.
Action: That Philip should decide which hand held microphone would be most appropriate and purchase this together with a stand.

9. Reports from Sub-Committees
9.1 Planning and Succession sub-committee - The Committee received the report from the sub-committee and noted that arrangements for the AGM 2020 are in hand.
There was some discussion about the need to have role descriptions for the Committee as there was some confusion about who does what.
Action: The Business Secretary will circulate the existing role descriptions to members of the Committee for consideration at the next meeting.
Decision: In response to a question it was confirmed that rotas for the refreshments and reception at general meeting roll over into the new year
Action: The Business Secretary confirmed that she will hold an informal meeting with new Committee members (trustees) after the AGM to introduce them to their role with a view to developing a more formal trustee induction.
9.2 Constitution Review sub-committee - The Committee received the report from the sub-committee.
Decision: The Committee agreed that the revised Constitution should be submitted for approval by the membership at the 2021 AGM.
9.3 Code of Conduct – During discussion on the revision of the constitution it was agreed that there should be a code of conduct for members in line with the values of the U3A.
Action: The Committee agreed that the Code of Conduct should be adopted and communicated to the membership and added to the new members pack.

10. Reports from other meetings
10.1 Report from the U3A Cluster meeting – The Committee received the report. The Chairman reported that a new U3A, West Pennine Villages, had been started and its Chairman, Anne Furlong, had attended the meeting.
10.2 UCLAN research project - Jenny reported that she would be attending a meeting later in November involving the Health Studies Department at UCLAN regarding research into dementia.
10.3 Report from NW Trustee – the Committee received the report.

11. Special Events
11.1 Christmas Lunch – Marjorie reported there were currently 85 paid up members with a further 2 reserved for members on holiday. Two non members were attending at a cost of £25 each.
The children from St Mary's, Langho will be singing from 12.00-12.30.
11.2 U3A Day 3rd June 2020 – It was noted that this would be the first U3A Day and would be an annual event, held to promote and celebrate the U3A movement. The Committee agreed that Clitheroe should do something to acknowledge U3A Day.
It was suggested that the bi-monthly coffee morning usually held in the last week in May could be postponed until the following week and a coffee/tea and cakes morning held instead. Group Convenors would be asked to attend to showcase their groups.
Action: Marjorie will investigate possible venues in Clitheroe and report back to the meeting in January.

12. Publicity/website/newsletter
12.1 The Chairman reported that the Newsletter Editor was not getting information in time for her to incorporate it into the Newsletter. The Groups' Co-ordinator will remind the group convenors at their meeting in February.

13. AOB/ Future agenda items
13.1 Coffee Mornings – It was agreed that the bi-monthly coffee mornings had been successful and should carry on.
13.2 It was agreed that mince pies should be served at the December General Meeting.
13.3 Philip requested that papers in Dropbox should be numbered with their item number for ease of recognition. The Business Secretary agreed to do this.
13.4 Philip reported that committee members were welcome to attend the Group Convenors' meeting in February but could they please let him know if they wished to do so so that he could plan for catering.

14.Date of next meeting: Thursday 16th January 2020

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minutes of the U3A Clitheroe Committee Meeting
held at Clitheroe Golf Club on September 12th 2019

Present: Julie Bradshaw, Philip Bradshaw (Groups Co-ordinator), Janet Elliott (Vice Chair), Paul Fisher (Treasurer), David Grimes (Membership Secretary), Jenny Grimes (Chair), Jean Hart (Speakers Secretary), Alison Hoyle, Gill Kilbey, Eileen Narain (Business Secretary), Janet Rudd, Marjorie Taylor (Vice Chair), Liz Wolstenholme

1. Apologies
Apologies were received from: Frank Taylor

2. Minutes of the previous meeting
The Minutes were accepted and duly signed by the Chair, Jenny Grimes.

3. Matters Arising from the previous meeting
3.1 Lloyds Bank indemnity (5) - The Treasurer confirmed that indemnity had been granted and he was now able to pay in cheques made out to 'U3A Clitheroe' and 'Clitheroe U3A'.
3.2 . See around Britain website (7.3) – The Programme Secretary confirmed she had looked into the site but was still confused as to its usage. She had discovered that another U3A had acknowledged the site on its website.
Decision: The Committee agreed that its existence could be communicated to the membership for information only.
Action: The Membership Secretary will contact the Newsletter Editor and the Webmaster to advertise the site.
3.3 Geology Field Trip to Anglesey(3.3)–TheCommitteereceivedanupdatefrom Frank Taylor (Geology Group Convenor) and was satisfied with the arrangements.
3.4 Publicity Officer (12.3) - The Secretary confirmed that she had received the role description and had circulated it to the Committee. It will be discussed under Item 12.
3.5 StMary'sCentre(13.1)–The Chair confirmed that she had spoken to the caretaker and he had shown her how to remove chairs from any row in order to make room for wires / tripods etc.

4. Correspondence
Committee members had received:-
National Newsletters: July and August 2019 National Mailings: Annual Report and Accounts NW Regional Newsflash.
Matters arising from the above correspondence
4.1 It was noted that advice on Handling Cash had been included in the August National Newsletter. There was considerable discussion on the matter including accounting for cash received for trips / special events / renewal of membership etc, and how best to deal with this, and how to advise Group Convenors particularly with reference to the first two bullet points; cash used to defray costs of an event and paying balances into personal accounts and then making online or cheque payment to U3A. It was agreed that members should be encouraged to present cheques rather than cash.
Action: The Treasurer will consider this matter further and report back with proposals to the next committee meeting.
Decision: In order to facilitate payment and administration it was agreed that individual forms should be completed for tickets for the Christmas Lunch.

5. Treasurer’s report
The Treasurer presented the accounts for July and August 2019 (Copy in the Minutes folder).
The balance at the bank was £7079 on 31st August.

6. Membership Secretary’s report
Attendance at the August and September meetings was 117 and 116 respectively. (Copy of report in the Minutes folder). The Membership Secretary informed the committee that membership now stands at 393.
David reported that 1 member and 1 former member had passed away recently. It had previously been agreed that deaths of current members, when known, would be reported in the Newsletter. The former member, Malcolm, had been one of the founding members of Clitheroe U3A so David will report his death also in the Newsletter.

7. Programme Secretary’s report
7.1 A list of Speakers with Fees for 2019/20 was circulated with the Agenda.
7.2 Jean reported that she had received an email from the Skipton Building Society who had offered to come to give a talk on dangers of fraud / scams.
Decision: As the programme was full until 2021 it was decided to keep them in reserve in case there is a cancellation.
7.3 Jean also reported that she had received communications from two financial planners
Decision: It was agreed that these should be refused as they would be promoting sales of financial plans.

8. Group Co-ordinator’s report
8.1 TheGroupsCo-ordinatorreportedthat,forpersonalreasons,theGroupCo- ordinator’s meeting due in October had been postponed and the venue and catering cancelled. A new date will be set in due course.
8.2 Philip reported that the laptop used for the general meeting and group meetings was becoming very slow.
Action: The Groups Co-ordinator to investigate the cost of a new laptop with a view to a purchase by the end of the financial year.

9. Reports from Sub-Committees
9.1There had been no sub-committee meetings since the last Committee meeting.
9.2 The Secretary reported that it was necessary to revise our current constitution to bring it in line with the National Office model constitution. Some members had attended a session on the model constitution at the recent NW Regional Conference.
Action: A Constitution Revision sub-committee to be set up with Jenny Grimes, Janet Elliott, and Eileen Narain. Sue Walton (previous Business Secretary) has agreed to attend as a person of 'special expertise'. Sue had also attended the above session. Julie Bradshaw has agreed to review papers and any draft and final documents, and to attend meetings if her health permits.
9.3 The Chair reported that we would need to set up a sub-committee to plan for the AGM in February.
Action: An AGM Planning sub-committee to be set up with Jenny Grimes, Janet Rudd, Paul Fisher, Janet Elliott and Eileen Narain.
9.4 Janet Rudd and Jean Hart reported that they would be standing down next year.
9.5 There was some discussion about the need to attract new members on the Committee.
Action: To place a notice in the Newsletter inviting members to attend a committee meeting as observers.

10.Reports from other meetings
10.1 Report from meeting at Todmorden concerning Beacon – the Treasurer presented a report of the meeting attended by himself, the Chair and the Membership Secretary with U3A Todmorden's Treasurer, Emily Watnick and their Membership Secretary, Brenda Botten. The system is primarily for finance and membership purposes but has other communication capabilities. The database is held centrally at national level and it would be necessary to create membership numbers. There was a possible issue of the system requiring email addresses but David reported that of the 393 members 377 had email addresses. Those members not on email would not be disadvantaged.
Under this system the roles of Membership Secretary and Beacon Master would be separated.
If adopted, Beacon would not be implemented until 2021.
Action: The Membership Secretary will create membership numbers and communicate these to members.
There was some discussion about online payments for membership fees and for the payment of trips.
Action: The Treasurer will set up a trial online payment option.
10.2 NW Summer School – Julie Bradshaw reported that the Summer School had been very successful with 5 members of Clitheroe U3A attending various courses and Meg Shaw running a Philosophy course.
She reported that the venue, Newton Rigg College, was currently under threat of closure so may not be available as a venue in the future.

11. Special Events
11.1 Christmas Lunch – Marjorie reported that Foxfields has been booked and a cost of £20 for two courses plus tea / coffee agreed. The Hyndburn Ukelele Band would provide the entertainment and the choir at St Augustine's school may be available to sing before the lunch.
Decision: It was agreed that the cost to members would be £20 and £25 for non members. This will be advertised on the booking form and in the Newsletter and Powerpoint. It was further agreed that the provision of transport question should be removed from the booking form as it caused confusion.
Marjorie reported that some refreshments would be provided for the children.

12. Publicity/website/newsletter
12.1 Chair's monthly contribution to the Newsletter -There was further discussion about the front page of the Newsletter. It was suggested that Group Convenors could be asked to provide information concerning their groups activities in some editions so that the Chair did not always have to provide a contribution.
12.2 Role of Publicity Officer - it was considered that the current role description may seem onerous to volunteers as it seemed to imply that the volunteer had to perform all the tasks.
Action: The Secretary will make amendments to the role of Publicity Officer.

13. AOB/ Future agenda items
13.1 The Treasurer reported that Barbara Pickup, the Group Convenor for French, had reported to him that their magazine subscription was due for renewal at the cost of £100.
Decision: It was agreed that this should be funded

14. Date of next meeting: Thursday 14th November 2019

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minutes of the U3A Clitheroe Committee Meeting
held at Clitheroe Golf Club, July 11th 2019

Present: Julie Bradshaw, Philip Bradshaw (Groups Co-ordinator), Janet Elliott (Vice Chair), Paul Fisher (Treasurer), David Grimes (Membership Secretary), Jenny Grimes (Chair), Jean Hart (Speakers Secretary), Alison Hoyle, Pauline Hutchinson (Newsletter Editor), Eileen Narain (Business Secretary), Marjorie Taylor (Vice Chair), Liz Wolstenholme

1. Apologies
Apologies were received from: Gill Kilbey, Janet Rudd

2. Minutes of the last meeting
The Minutes were accepted and duly signed by the Chairman, Jenny Grimes.

3. Matters Arising from 16th May 2019
1 Annual subscriptions via internet (3.3) – The Treasurer reported that he and the Membership Secretary would be meeting with the Treasurer and Membership Secretary of Todmorden U3A on 31 July to discuss Todmorden's recent experience of renewing subscriptions via internet / bank transfer. He also reported that the Chair of Longridge had also been in touch concerning the same subject.
2 Paul mentioned the experience of Cirencester U3A who had published instructions on how to complete BACS payments in their Newsletter. If the system were to be introduced the transition would need careful explanation and education.
3 There was some discussion on whether a membership number would be required but it was considered that name and postcode should be sufficient.
4 Availability of ICE cards (3.6) – ICE cards had been advertised in the Newsletter and on Powerpoint at the general meeting and had been distributed to group convenors. There had been a good uptake of them at the general meeting.
5 Geology Field Trip to Anglesey (3.7) – It was confirmed that a 2 night trip is covered by U3A insurance. Arrangements for the trip were progressing.
6 Access to Burnley website (3.8) – It was confirmed that the Burnley U3A website can be accessed via the Clitheroe site.
7 Group Convenors Forum (8.2) – The Groups Co-ordinator confirmed that Clitheroe Cricket Club had been booked and that Blueberries had been contacted concerning catering.
8 Local Network of U3As (10.2) – The Secretary confirmed that the Clitheroe Library mezzanine floor had been booked for the meeting in September.
9 Items on the website (12.2) – The Groups Co-ordinator confirmed that he had written to the group convenors encouraging them to send items from their group to the webmaster.

4. Correspondence
Committee members had received:-
National Newsletters: May and June 2019
National Mailings: Notice of Third Age Trust AGM in August.

Matters arising from the above correspondence
1 The Chair reported that she had joined the virtual U3A and found a very useful article on how to produce a Powerpoint presentation.
2 The Chair asked if anyone was available to attend the Third Age Trust in August. Marjorie will confirm later if she is able to attend.

5. Treasurer’s report
The Treasurer presented the accounts for May and June 2019 (Copy in the Minutes folder).
Paul reported that there have been problems paying in cheques to the new account. The account is named Clitheroe U3A Third Age Trust and the bank would not accept cheques for 'U3A Clitheroe' or 'Clitheroe U3A' in accordance with Charity Commission requirements. Paul has applied for indemnity but this is taking some time to be processed and in the meantime he is holding onto cheques worth approximately £1100.

Action: The Committee authorised the Treasurer to proceed with the application for indemnity as soon as possible.

The balance at the bank was £6618. on 30th June (excluding the £1100).

6. Membership Secretary’s report
Attendance at the June and July meetings was 110 and 123 respectively. (Copy of report in the Minutes folder). The Membership Secretary informed the committee that membership now stands at 379.

7. Programme Secretary’s report
1 A list of Speakers with Fees for 2019/20 was circulated with the Agenda.
2 It was reported that there had been some confusion for some U3A members who had thought that the previous general meeting speaker would have been from the charity Gingerbread.
3 Jean agreed to check the list of future speakers and seek clarification on the speaker's subject where necessary eg Tiffany and Co.
4 Jean reported that she had received an email from a representative of a registered charity - seearoundBritain.com – asking if we could advertise them to our members who may be interested in providing them with information about local places to add to their website
5 Action: To leave the matter pending till the next meeting while the website can be investigated.

8. Group Co-ordinator’s report
1 The Groups Co-ordinator reported that he had received an email from the Lowther Pavillion in Lytham asking whether they could send us details of their productions. It was agreed that this should be passed to Wendy Richardson.
2 Philip reported that he has not yet drawn up an agenda for the Group Convenors Forum on 17 October but he had some issues that he would be address at the meeting and asked committee members to let him know if they had any issues
3 – a) that group convenors should ensure they regularly update him with changes of contact details
4 - b) that it is important to put information about their groups on the website
5 - c) that noticeboards should be kept up to date.
6 The Treasurer requested that group convenors be asked to give him a schedule of expected expenditure at the beginning of the year to give him a better awareness of possible expenditure.
7 It was agreed that Paul should attend the Group Convenors Forum.
8 Philip confirmed that some banging sounds had been heard at the general meeting but it appears that this has nothing to do with our sound equipment but must occur as a result of interference near the building.

9. Reports from Sub-Committees
There were none

10. Reports from other meetings
The Chair reported that U3A members had attended the NW Regional Conference and AGM in June, joining sessions on Interest Group Matters which gave various scenarios and suggestions for dealing with disruptive members, Mindfulness and Meditation, and the New Model Constitution which is a complicated subject and which the committee will need to consider later in the year. The conference was followed by the AGM. Mo Eccles was elected as Chair of the NW Region.

11. Special Events
1 Arrangements for the Summer Event have been finalised and the event is fully booked. It was agreed that the amount of the tip for the staff would be agreed on the day.
2 Some discussion took place about the date and venue for the Christmas Event. Venues are already being booked up for the Christmas period.
3 Action: It was agreed that Marjorie should go ahead and book Foxfields for the Christmas Event on 17 December 2019

12. Publicity/website/newsletter
1 The Newsletter Editor reported that there had been some problems with the July issue as the Summer Event was fully booked and therefore no longer needed advertising on the back page. This was eventually resolved but it would be useful to have a stockpile of items from the groups which could be used as necessary. It was suggested that there could be a rota of interest groups to provide submissions to the Newsletter.
2 There was some discussion about the front page of the Newsletter. It was suggested that reports of the presentation at the general meeting could be used rather than the Chair having to write an article every month.
3 There was some discussion about the role of Publicity Officer which may need to be specified further.
Action: Julie to send the current role description to Eileen for discussion at the next committee meeting.

13. AOB/ Future agenda items
1 Health and Safety at the General Meeting – the problem of members using the central aisle to reach the front seats and having to tread over the wires and tripods was discussed.
2 Action: The Chair will speak to the caretaker at St Mary's centre to see if one chair at each aisle side of the central aisle can be removed from a few of the front rows.
3 More Newsletters were requested for the Circle Dancing group. It was suggested that they may wish to look on the website as most of the Newsletters are committed to distribution in libraries / information centres etc.
4 David Grimes reported that he is aware of the national four day U3A science meeting in Birmingham in August. He has looked at the content but he felt that it was not along the lines that he envisages for Scientific Enlightenment Group at the present time. He will not be attending the meeting.
5 The Chair reported that Alan Baker had resigned from the Committee. It was agreed that as the committee had a full complement of members there was no need at this stage to replace Alan but that items could be placed in the Newsletter and the monthly Powerpoint encouraging members to come to committee meetings as an observer with a view to joining the committee in the future.
6 The Chair thanked Alan for his work on the committee over the years.

14. Date of next meeting: Thursday 12th September 2019

----------------------------------------------------------------

Minutes of the U3A Clitheroe Committee Meeting
held at Clitheroe Golf Club, May 14th 2019

Present: Alan Baker, Julie Bradshaw, Philip Bradshaw, Paul Fisher, David Grimes, Jenny Grimes, Jean Hart, Alison Hoyle, Pauline Hutchinson, Gill Kilbey, Eileen Narain, Janet Rudd, Frank Taylor, Marjorie Taylor, Liz Wolstenholme

1. Apologies
Apologies were received from: Janet Elliott

2. Minutes of the last meeting
The Minutes were accepted and duly signed by the Chairman, Jenny Grimes.

3. Matters Arising from 14th March 2019
1 Examining of accounts(3.1) – this had been discussed at the Network meeting in March It was suggested that an approach could be made to banks / building societies as part of their Corporate Responsibility policies.
2 Licences (4.4) – the Secretary reported that she had received the appropriate licences.
3 Annual subscriptions via the internet (5) - This had been discussed at the Network meeting. Tomorden U3A were moving to Beacon and internet subscriptions in June and were willing to share their experience
4 Action: Paul (Treasurer) and David (Membership Secretary) will meet with the Todmorden Treasurer in July to discuss and evaluate the Todmorden experience.
5 Meet & Greet (6.2) - Liz Wolstenholme is now part of the Meet and Greet team and other members had also been approached for their help.
6 Redundant resources (8.1) – Burnley U3A are setting up a further French group and were happy to receive these resources.
7 The Chair reported that the French Group Leader had asked about the possibility of holding the group session more than once a month. It was confirmed that there was no problem with this as long as members were free of other group commitments on the agreed day
8 Risk Assessments for visits (8.2) – The Groups Co-ordinator confirmed that risk assessments pro-formas had been circulated to Group Leaders. The Secretary confirmed that a supply of ICE (In Case of Emergency) cards had been obtained.
9 Action: Availability of ICE cards to be advertised on the Powerpoint at General Meetings and via the Newsletter. Some cards would also be circulated to Group Covenors to encourage members going on trips to carry one.
10 Proposed Geology trip to Anglesey 9-11th October 2019 (8.3) – Frank Taylor reported that there were now 12 members wishing to go on the trip making it viable. He would keep the committee informed as arrangements progressed.
11 Action: The Chairman to report as to whether a 2 night trip is covered by U3A insurance.
12 Access to Burnley website (10) – this was not discussed at the Network meeting.
13 Action: Frank Taylor to contact Burnley directly.
14 Addresses of Officers / Committee members (12) – The Newsletter Editor confirmed that these had been removed from the Newsletter.
15 Board bags (13) - The Chair confirmed that a new bag had been obtained.

4. Correspondence
Committee members had received:-
National Newsletters for March and April 2019
NW Regional Newsletter No 56
National Mailings (EM-19-03 and 04)

Matters arising from the above correspondence
1 Annual return – The Secretary reported that the Annual return had been completed and returned on time and the Treasurer confirmed that the Membership fee had been forwarded to the Trust.
2 Trustee induction – it was agreed that this should be added to the future agenda for consideration.
3 Health check – The Committee considered the questionnaire and were able to respond positively to all the questions.

5. Treasurer’s report
The Treasurer presented the accounts for March (new bank account so no opening balance) and April 2019 (Copy in the Minutes folder), .
The balance at the bank was £8464.84 on 30th April.

6. Membership Secretary’s report
1 Attendance at the April and May meetings was 128 and 98 respectively. (Copy of report in the Minutes folder). The Membership Secretary informed the committee that membership now stands at 370. 44 member had left and 44 new members had joined.
2 The Membership Secretary reported that 2 members had passed away recently.
3 Decision: When known, notification of any members who have passed away will be placed in the Newsletter.
4 It was reported that, when renewing membership, 52 members had declined to allow the release of their addresses to the national office. It was suggested that members did not realise that they would not receive copies of TAM as a result of declining.
5 Decision: An explanation of the implications of declining release of addresses would be put on a Powerpoint when renewal of membership for 2020 is advertised.

7. Programme Secretary’s report
A list of Speakers with Fees for 2019/20 was circulated with the Agenda.
It was agreed that Fran Sandham, a previous speaker, would be invited at a cost £120.
The Programme Secretary reported that the Singing for Pleasure group had been booked for the December 2020 General Meeting.
Paul Fisher agreed to deliver an abridged version of his talk on Salvador Dali at the AGM meeting in February 2020.

8. Group Co-ordinator’s report
1 The U3A Group Leaders Handbook and the use of Facebook and other social media – The Group Co-ordinator reported that the National Mailing for March had mentioned that a Group Leaders Handbook had been developed as a template for U3As to use and adapt as required. Philip has downloaded the Handbook and checked that advice to Clitheroe group convenors had been covered with the exception of the use of social media.
2 Frank Taylor explained that on Facebook it was possible to have 'closed' groups which restricted access to members who wished to join the group. Other forms of social media eg Twitter do not have this facility. Either way it would be necessary for monitoring of the contents