Chester U3A Social Events
Chester U3A's Social Committee offers a wide and varied choice of social events every month throughout the year. We are a charitable organisation run by volunteers, so you only pay for admission to the places visited (often at discounted prices for groups) plus the price of the coach to get you there.
Social events are open to all Chester U3A members. Be prepared to show your membership card when requested. Members of those U3As which are part of 'Deeside and Wirral U3A Network' will be required to show their current membership status.
Booking could not be easier - you may either call one of our co-coordinators (telephone numbers at the top of our News Sheet, see below) or book at one of the two monthly meetings held at St Columba's Parish Centre, Newhall Road, Plas Newton, Chester.
Enquiries about social events should be emailed to Social Secretary
Some Information for New Members about Day Trips.
- The main purpose of day trips is to have an enjoyable fun day out with other members, perhaps learning something new along the way. If you’ve been somewhere nice yourself we’re always grateful for suggestions.
- Trips are advertised in the newsletter, and bookings are taken at main meetings (at the table at the back of the hall) or by telephone. Make sure you contact the right organiser (their initials are shown next to each trip)
- Don’t be afraid to come if you are on your own. There will be somebody else who is on their own too.
- If you have any mobility or sensory needs please make the organiser aware so that they can advise you if the trip will be suitable for you or if there is anything you need to know about the buildings we’re going to..
- We’re usually on the coach for up to 60-90 minutes. We try to factor in comfort breaks on long journeys.
- It’s your responsibility to be at the pick-up point in time for departure. The Hough Green stop is next to Redlands Close, Delamere St stop is opposite the new health centre and Sainsbury’s is at Caldy Valley Gt Boughton. Please leave your car at Halfords car park not Sainsbury’s.
- Please leave the first two seats by the door free for the organiser. Please don’t try to reserve seats for other people with scarves or coats.
- Help with time-keeping by getting on and off the coach as promptly as you can. There’s only one door and there can be 50+ people waiting behind you.
- Pay attention to any announcements made on the coach so that you know when you have to be back on board. If necessary write it down.
- Have in your purse or wallet ICE contact details (In Case of Emergency). If you feel unwell during the journey do tell the organiser.
- Payment should be made at the time of booking, by cheque, payable to Chester U3A Social Account.
- If you have to cancel make sure the organiser knows as there may be someone who can take your place. We cannot guarantee to give refunds unless we can re-sell your place.
- We try to arrange, and often include in the price, tea or coffee on arrival. This depends on whether the sales cover the costs of all the outgoings. The organiser will let you know if you have to pay separately.
- Occasionally lunch is included. You will be told this at time of booking. Otherwise we will make sure there are cafes, or pubs nearby.
- If you want to take a packed lunch that’s ok but we cannot always guarantee a place for you to eat it undercover.
- It’s always sensible to have a bottle of water with you, especially in hot weather and warm and waterproof clothing if it’s not.
- We include a tip for the coach driver in the cost.
- If as a new member, or an old hand, you think there’s anything missing from this list, please let Sue Proctor know.