Day and Overnight Trips and Holidays
We want to encourage and facilitate Groups organising these ‘Trips’ for our members but the problems associated with Covid-19 situation in March 2020 highlighted the need to tighten up our procedures and follow TAT guidelines. (All Definitions are shown at the end of document).
Day trips and overnight trips require a risk assessment to be completed. This will ensure that appropriate precautions are in place and will enable prospective participants to understand what the precautions are, so that they can make an informed decision on whether to take part. For assistance with preparing a risk assessment, please contact the Secretary.
All day and overnight trips are subject to changes in Coronavirus regulations and may have to be cancelled at short notice. See Cancellations due to Coronavirus in the Refunds Policy.
Chepstow u3a has no involvement in 'holidays' (as described below) and will not be preparing risk assessments for these. Prospective participants should make their own enquiries of the travel agent or tour company.
Day Trips and Overnight Trips
These should be self-financing but if problems arise the Committee normally have to underwrite any losses so it is essential that the following procedures are followed. They must be notified to the Treasurer (Treasurer@ChepstowU3A.org.uk) with details and costings before being offered to members so that:
- The Treasurer is aware of our potential financial exposure if problems arise.
- We can ensure that the correct procedures are being followed. This is for the benefit of the Organiser and/or the Group Convener, and all members of the Group.
- We can advise which category the event falls into so the correct arrangements can be made.
- Chepstow U3A do not organise more than the 10 Overnight Trips per year.
- The Treasurer can ensure that the Chepstow u3a credit card is used for payments from the Activities Account wherever possible as this can provide extra security in the event of problems with a supplier.
- All Contracts and Agreements must be signed by a Trustee (Committee Member). Trustees are covered by a Trustee insurance policy if any dispute arises. Conveners are not authorised to sign anything on behalf of Chepstow u3a and would become personally liable for any disputes or financial penalties that might arise if something goes wrong.
- While u3a PLI & U3A Tour Operator Insurance (see Definitions below) are available for qualifying activities, normal travel insurance is the responsibility of individual members.
Do not benefit from u3a Insurance or underwriting of any losses. See below under Holidays for more details.
Categories of Trips – As defined by TAT
1. Day Trips – Travel or Travel + Admission to an Event – u3a Members and Prospective Members Only
- For all members of our u3a. Members of other u3as allowed.
- Prospective members are allowed.
- Are covered by u3a PLI. (See Definitions below).
- Exempt from 2018 Travel Arrangements Regulations (see Definitions below) because they are less than 24 hours duration.
- All transactions must go through the Chepstow u3a Activities Account
2. Overnight Trips – Travel and Accommodation – u3a Members Only
- For u3a Study Group members only. Members of other u3as allowed. For example, all members of the Walking Trip must be in a u3a Walking Group but it could a Walking Group from another u3a in the UK.
- No non u3a members. No prospective members
- Are covered by u3a PLI. (See Definitions below). In Europe also!
- Are covered by the U3A Tour Operator Insurance. (See Definitions below)
- They are exempt from 2018 Travel Arrangements Regulations (see Definitions below) providing: (a) they are only offered ‘Occasionally’ (this means that Chepstow u3a must not organise more than 10 overnight trips in a year) and (b) different members organise the various aspects of the trip: planning, finance, accommodation, travel, visits, walks, etc.
- Normal travel insurance is the responsibility of individual members
- All transactions must go through the Chepstow U3A Activities Account
3. Holidays – Open to u3a and Non u3a Members
- For all members of the u3a.
- Also for partners, friends etc. who are non U3A members.
- They are not covered by u3a PLI, (see Definitions below).
- They are not covered by u3a Tour Operator Insurance (see Definitions below).
- They are not financially underwritten by Chepstow u3a.
- Normal travel insurance is the responsibility of individual members.
- Must be organised through an accredited Travel Agency or Tour Company
- Payments must be made direct to Travel Company, not to an individual and not through Chepstow U3A Activities Account.
- Providing all the above conditions are met they can be advertised through Chepstow u3a. However, they must be first notified to the Treasurer to establish that all financial transactions will go through an accredited Travel Agency or Tour Company
- TAT - Third Age Trust
- u3a PLI - Public Liability Insurance included in each member’s annual membership fee to TAT. Definition from TAT: in general it is intended to indemnify the insured against compensation, which they become legally liable to pay, following injury or property damage sustained to others as a result of an activity. Legal liability to another person can arise in a number of ways but by far the most common is negligence. Public liability does not cover pure accidents where no legal liability has been established.
- u3a Tour Operator Insurance – included in each member’s annual membership fee to TAT. Definition from TAT: this policy has been taken out to provide cover for a group who organise a short study trip which involves overnight accommodation and who may be deemed a tour operator. This comprises public and products liability and professional indemnity insurance.
- 2018 Travel Arrangements Regulations. The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 which apply to holiday travel arrangements and cover package holidays and linked travel arrangements
- Prospective members are allowed to come to a maximum of two Chepstow u3a events: coach trips, visits, monthly meetings, group meetings etc. After that they must become a member of Chepstow u3a.