|Convener Liaison Team||Groups@ChepstowU3A.org.uk|
|Convener Update||Winter 2020|
Thinking of Becoming a Convener or Starting a New Group?
Activity Groups are the life blood of our U3A - without Groups there would be no Chepstow U3A - but we need members to run them. We call them Conveners. Perhaps surprisingly, you don’t have to be an expert in the subject of the group, you just have to make sure that the group runs smoothly.
We encourage members to suggest new groups and become Conveners and we will give you every assistance that we can. The first thing that you should do is to contact our Convener Liaison Team, details above, and talk things over with them. They will answer your questions and advise you what you have to do next.
Group Conveners Role is the next thing to look at after you have talked to Convener Liaison.
Starting a New Activity Group will update you on details but only after first talking to Convener Liaison..
A Web Page for your Group
There are lots of advantages in your Group having it's own page on the Chepstow U3A Web Site which is set up and managed by the Convener or someone within your Group:
- You can add your own personal touch to the page
- You can add photographs
- You can can keep it up to date with information for your members.
- Our web site is the window to the outside world. More and more new members are joining because of the web site so if your web page is interesting and informative it will attract new members to your Group.
Lots of Groups already maintain their own page (Dancing, Striders, Cycling, Badminton etc) and it is not as difficult as might you think.
If you are not editing your own page and you want to update it yourself contact Web Master to get a password and Chris will help you to update the page. For help in editing your page yourself click on Page Editor Help
Paul Martinez has produced a set of YouTube videos which may be helpful in inspiring conveners to use Zoom and helping with some of the ways that Zoom can be used. The videos are:
- Part 1 Zoom - Why should I bother? This video discusses the benefits of going on line and how easy it is. The link is: Zoom Why Bother.
- Part 2 Get your group on line in 5 simple steps This video breaks down the process of getting on line into 5 simple steps. The link is: 5 Simple Steps.
- Part 3 Zoom screen sharing for u3a interest groups This video focusses on the key facility for interest groups: the ability to share screens and therefore share any type of content in the course of an interest group meeting. The link is: Zoom Screen Sharing.
- Part 4 Zoom for every u3a interest group Rather bravely, I argue the case that any and every interest group can go online and focus in particular on a dance interest group: Scottish Country Dancing. The link is: Zoom for Every Group.
- Part 5 Hosting your zoom u3a interest group This video focusses on key Zoom controls for interest group leaders and introduces what you can do with a YouTube account. The link is: Hosting Zoom.
There are also U3A Zoom Tutorials available to book.
These are usually held annually to enable an exchange of ideas and information between the Groups and the Committee and between the Groups themselves. The ideas and suggestions that have emerged out of the discussions have resulted in many positive developments within our U3A for the benefit of all its members.
|Virtual Conveners Meetings May 2020||Notes of the Meetings|
|Conveners Meeting April 2019||Notes of the meeting|
|Conveners Meeting April 2018||Notes of the meeting|
Accidents or Incidents
If there is an accident or any other incident whilst on a Group activity then an Incident/Accident Report Form (PDF) or a Incident/Accident Report Form (Word) should be completed. One copy should be kept by the Convener and one given to the Secretary who will include it for discussion at the next Committee Meeting. The Secretary will retain it on file for a period of three years in case of a future claim even if this appears unlikely.
Summary of Useful Links
|New Conveners||Group Conveners Role||What is involved in being a Convener|
|Starting a New Activity Group||What to do, who to contact.|
|Existing Conveners||Essential Information for Conveners||Conveners must be aware of everything in this document|
|Refunds Policy||Our policy on refunding members if they have to cancel trips or holidays|
|Day and Overnight Trips and Holidays||What is the difference between these trips and what you have to know before you start to organise one.|
|Fully Subscribed Groups||If you have more members than your group can take|
|Non Members on Group Activities||Essential information about when non members can come on our activities. Also dogs and children.|
|Zoom Hosting Tips||How to book a Zoom session, tips on hosting a Zoom meeting. Arranging Zoom training.|
|Finance||Group Financial Procedures||Looking after your group's money|
|Group Financial Assistance||Does your Group need financial assistance?|
|Miscellaneous||Incident/Accident Report Form (PDF)||Please complete if you have an accident however minor|
|Incident/Accident Report Form (Word)|
|Safe Use of Venues||Ensuring that venues provide a safe environment|
|Venues Risk Assessment Checklist||A checklist for venues when used for the first time|
|Venue Checklist (Day of Use)||Key items to check each time venue is used|
|Convener Liaison Team||Group Set Up Procedure||Steps in setting up a new Group|