***DELAYED RE-START OF MAIN MEETINGS AT THE PADDOCKS***
Due to the current Covid situation in our area and the risk that the poorly ventilated Paddocks Community Hall would pose to our members, the Committee decided at the August Committee Meeting to delay the restart of main meetings at The Paddocks until Monday 15th November 2021. (This will be reviewed at the October Committee meeting). OUR AGM HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED AND WILL TAKE PLACE AT SMALLGAINS HALL ON FRIDAY 5th NOVEMBER, DOORS OPEN 1.30pm. Doumentation can be found in the Members Area. The Coffee Afternoons will continue to be held at Smallgains Hall on the first Friday of each month at 1.30 pm.
***SECRETARYS NEWSLETTER NO 20 - August 2021***
The Secretarys latest newsletter can be found on the following link Secretarys Newsletter No 20
- To ensure that you receive emails from Canvey Island U3A, please make sure that you have email@example.com entered in your safe senders list and contacts list, as described on the Beacon page. Please be aware, that if you have registered an email address with us, this will be the only method we use to contact you. Your yearly Membership renewal notification will be sent by email to your registered email address.
If you don't use your email address then please get our Membership Secretary to remove it from our records, as it will be of no use to you or us.
- However, we would urge any member that has an email address to use it or register it with us. By doing this it will make it much quicker and cost effective for us to keep in touch with you. When there's any news you will receive a news sheet sent out by our secretary and any emails sent by your group liaisons. To register your current email address with us please contact our Membership Secretary Chris.
***GROUPS THAT REQUIRE A NEW LIAISON OR JOINT LIAISONS - WE NEED YOU***
DO NOT LEAVE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE OR IT WILL NOT HAPPEN.
- We are looking for a new Group Liaison or Liaisons to take over the Local History Group. You don’t have to be a current member of the group, although it would be useful. This is a great worthwhile group, well worth continuing. Please give it your consideration, as the group will close, if no-one comes forward. Please contact our Groups Coordinator Jan Collett to show your interest.
- The Local Theatre group requires a new Liaison or Liaisons.
It is with much regret that after 4 years of shear enjoyment with you, I will not be running the Theatre Group anymore, for various reasons. But we still have one show outstanding, that is Riverdance, which was rescheduled from last year to 25th September, this year. It is an afternoon matinee and starts at 2.30 pm. If you are one of the 26 group members who has a ticket and are going, your original ticket is still valid. I will send out a reminder nearer the time.
The post is open to a new Group Liaison to keep it going, contact me or Jan Collett, if you wish to step in or do it with a friend. Lastly, I would like to say a big thank you to all the many members of the group who have supported it throughout the years, it has been a pleasure and a delight to do it.
Thank you everyone!
Thanks to Chris for her hard work over the past years but it's now time for someone else to take the reins.
- The French Group needs a new Liaison. Thanks to Margaret for her many years as Liaison.
- Luncheon Club will require new Liaison(s) if it is to start up again.
- Darts 2
- Spanish - Thanks to Rita for running this group for many years.
- Family History
- Line Dancing
We will not be issuing new membership cards for 2021, please do not destroy your 2020 card as it will be valid for the rest of 2021. If you did not get your new card for 2020 then don't worry as we have still got the cards that were not collected. You will be able to collect yours when we are able to meet again.
***HOW TO USE ZOOM***
Here is a link to a document with step by step instructions on using Zoom. Zoom Guide
Do you shop online with Amazon? Please help our u3a by making all of your Amazon purchases via the Amazon Smile option.
As a registered charity Canvey Island U3A has now registered with Amazon Smile.
Amazon will donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible Amazon Smile purchases to Canvey Island U3A.
Amazon Smile is the same Amazon you know. Same products, same prices, same service.
Please support Canvey Island U3A by shopping at smile.amazon.co.uk. instead of the normal Amazon page.
All you need to do is go to amazon smile here, log in with your usual details (or create a new account if you do not have an Amazon account already), click on the word "Supporting" (near he top of the page) and enter Canvey Island U3A as your supporting charity. Our U3A will benefit at no extra cost to you. Then please make sure that you go to the smile.amazon.co.uk page each time you wish to make a purchase.
***USEFUL CORONAVIRUS INFORMATION***
- Government Regulations What you can and cannot do
- For the Government Covid-19 update see Uk Government Coronavirus Information
***SCAMS & FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY***
- Thorpe Bay U3A Fraud Alert Scam List Full List of Essex Fraud Alerts - Thanks to Barry Linton (Thorpe Bay U3A)
***CANVEY ISLAND U3A FACEBOOK GROUP***
- We have set up a members only Facebook Group. The page can be found here Canvey Island U3A Facebook Page.
Remember that when requesting to join the Facebook group there are two questions asking for your membership number and agreement that you will abide by rules of the group, both of these questions need to be answered for the moderators to allow you to join.
***Mirthy Free Online Talks***
Mirthy broadcast educational and entertaining online talks by the best public speakers for U3A members across the country.
Talks are viewed from the comfort and safety of members own homes.
A FREE talk is broadcast every Thursday, which is open to join.
Members can register for free talks on the following link : Register for Mirthy Talks
- Havens Hospice Bereavement Service See Havens Hospice Document
- If you are concerned about your health, use the Online 111 Service for Advice.
Hi folks, the link below goes to an online learning site, which has been set up by many UK universities. It offers loads of FREE short courses, on all manor of subjects. The courses are well laid out. So, if you need something to spark your suppressed interests, you should be able to find a few which suit. Thus enabling you to ease the monotony of these troubled times. The site is called:FutureLearn
Dave Traer - Vice Chairman.
***THIRD AGE TRUST ADVICE & HELP***
- See the Monthly National U3A Newsletter that has some interesting projects that U3A's and groups can do remotely. National U3A News Email click here.
- The Third Age Trust has made available a U3A Discussion Forum to help us through the Covid-19 pandemic. Details can be found here
***CANVEY ISLAND U3A VIRTUAL COMMITTEE MEETINGS***
These meetings are proving useful, discussing what we can do to help keep our members busy in these trying times.
NEW OR RECENTLY EDITED WEBSITE PAGES
- Nature Ramblers (Picture added 18/09/2021)
- Walking Cricket (Pictures added 18/09/2021)
- Membership Renewals (edited 13/09/2021)
- Groups (edited 12/09/2021)
- Events (edited 27/08/2021)
- Members Area (added July 2021 committee meeting minutes - June 2021)
- Change of Personal Details (added 05/03/2021)
- Group Liaisons Information (Edited with added and revised Covid Risk Assessments 09/07/2020)
To view all National Office events, offers and official documents, go to the U3A Main site and sign in as a member. You will need to create a new account if you haven't signed up before. To register for the Monthly National U3A News Email click here.