How I Can Help
u3as are entirely run by their members, drawing upon their skills, knowledge and experience to organize a wide range of activities. Members themselves run the groups, serve on committees, deal with the administration and organize outings and events. Everyone is encouraged to help in some way or other if at all possible. Listed below are some of the ways you could contribute.
Initiating a group activity
If you have knowledge, expertise, experience, interests or hobbies that you would be prepared to share with others you could do this by becoming a group leader and offering a course or activity either as a one off session, or as a series lasting a few weeks or longer. Find out more about the role of a group leader and the support available by attending one of our regularly held tutors' workshops. One off talks or lectures would also be most welcome.
Assisting a Subject Coordinator
Some of our Subject areas have a large range of courses and activities and would welcome help at times when they are away or specially busy.
Hosting a group
Most groups meet in members' homes, during the daytime. Not all members willing to run a group are able to accommodate the group. We therefore need offers of accommodation from members who have rooms that can hold a group of at least 8 members. Being a host means you can also join in the group session.
Joining an organizing team
We have a number of teams to help with our work and maintain lists of members willing to be called upon to help. We have, for example,
- a membership team to assist with all matters concerning enrolment and membership
- a monthly meetings team to assist in planning speakers and welcoming members at monthly meetings
- a mailing team to organize the distribution of programmes, newsletters and other information to members
- a social activities team to organize outings, special events and serving refreshments
- a team which organizes walks and would always welcome new leaders
- a team which organizes group holidays
Helping with administration
We would like to maintain a register of members, who could help at times of need with administrative tasks including those requiring computing skills, such as typing documents and data entering.
Serving on the Committee
Assisting with any of the tasks set out above helps members to understand how u3a works and may lead to a willingness to serve on the committee and take on a leading role within it. We need to have new potential committee members to replace existing members as their terms of office expire. Working on the committee can be very rewarding and provide an opportunity to shape the future of our u3a.
Other practical ways of helping
- passing on u3a email messages to members not yet on line
- contributing to our Newsletter by sending in written commentaries and photos of activities and events
- writing an article for u3a News
To offer help or for more information, please email our
Business Secretary Miriam or phone using the number on your information card.