Our Monthly Meetings are held from 2pm - 4pm on the third Thursday of the month at:-
Caldicot Choir Hall, Mill Lane, Caldicot, NP26 5DD.
The doors will be open from 2.00pm for arrival so that the meeting can start promptly at 2.15pm.
Also get the latest information on interest groups and outings as well as socialising over a cup of tea or coffee.
Remember to check out the notice boards for details of national or regional events.
|Dates for your Diary|
|Thu Sep 19th||Annual General Meeting followed by entertainment T.B.A.|
Tea Rota :- Strollers.
|Thu Oct 17th||OPEN DAY FOR ALL GROUPS.|
Tea Rota :- Striders.
|Tue Oct 29th||WALK LEADERS Ann & Don. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|
|Thu Nov 21st||Titanic Effort by Paul Barnett.|
Tea Rota :- Art.
|Thu Dec 19th||Drama Presentation by our very own Phoenix Players.|
Tea Rota :- Bridge.
|Sat Aug 31st||Wales U3A Web Site - Short Story Writing Competition (English) 2019|
Please read all of this carefully:
• It must be in English.
• It can be fictional or non-fictional.
• lt must be a maximum of 1500 words (including the title) or it could be shorter if you wish. (All word processors have a facility for counting the number of words) Any script over 1500 words will not be read by the judges.
• Your story can be on a theme of your choice or if you would like it to be included as part of the new Castles shared learning project, a reference to a castle or castles should be included in your story.
• Please give it a title which will avoid confusion with the other entries.
• Worldwide copyright for the story will remain with the author but the organiser will have the right to edit & publish the submitted work on its website and/or in an eBook. If a reference is made to a castle or castles the organiser will have the right to include it use it in published material generated by the Castles shared learning project.
• Poems will not be considered.
• The competition is open to current members of all Welsh U3As
• Entry is free but limited to one story per person
• Entries must be received between 1st July and the 31st August 2019. However, please do send it in as soon as it is ready, preferably not on the last day.
• Entrants whose stories are short listed for the top ten will be informed by 7th October2019.
• The winner will be announced by the 15th November 2019 and receive a £25 gift token.
• The results will be published on the Wales Web Site and possibly in Third Age Matters.
• The winning entry will be published on the Wales Web Site
• The Judges‘ decision is final in all matters. Judges and Organisers will not enter into any
correspondence/discussion with any entrant.
HOW TO PRESENT YOUR STORY – VERY IMPORTANT
• It must be clearly typed in black with a ‘normal’ font, double spacing, using, Word or Pages
format. If you use Open Office, please submit your entry as a pdf.
• The title must appear at the top of every page.
• In a separate document, give the title of your story, the number of words, your name, address &
phone number, your e-mail address, and your U3A. These details will not be seen by the judges.
• Your name and U3A MUST NOT appear in your story.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR STORY
• Your story should be attached to an e-mail and sent to Penni Joy firstname.lastname@example.org
• This makes it easier to distribute to the judges.
• Paper versions will be accepted but if you do not have e-mail, if at all possible, please ask a
friend who does, to send it for you. Paper versions make a lot more work for the administrator.
If your entry has not been acknowledged within seven days then please contact me at
• The best ten entries will be decided by a panel of judges.
• The ten short listed stories will then be passed to Marcia Humphries, the Subject Adviser for
Creative Writing for the Third Age Trust, who will select the winner.
If you have any queries, please contact Chris Winner at: chris.winner@U3A.org.uk
|Tue Aug 27th||Todays walk will be lead by Marie and Sue|
|Tue Sep 3rd||AREA Penhow. WALK LEADERS Jeanette & Gaynor. ROUTE Penhow/Langstone.|
|Tue Sep 10th||AREA TBA WALK LEADER Les. ROUTE TBA PUB TBA|
|Tue Sep 17th||AREA Possibly Ogmore by Sea. WALK LEADERS David & Bridget. ROUTE Coastal walk. PICNIC|
|Tue Sep 24th||AREA TBA WALK LEADER Linda. ROUTE TBA PUB TBA|
|Wed Aug 21st||Trip to RHS Wisley. 8.00am Start Mill Lane.|
|Thu Aug 22nd||7.00pm - 9.00pm Portskewett Recreational Hall.|
|Thu Sep 5th||7.00pm - 9.00pm Portskewett Recreational Hall.|
|Thu Sep 19th||7.00pm - 9.00pm Portskewett Recreational Hall.|
|Mon Sep 2nd||The Isles of Scilly. SPEAKER Alan Clarke.|
|Fri Aug 30th||The fifth Friday in August at the Council Day Centre, Sandy Lane, Caldicot.|
|Fri Sep 13th||The second Friday in September at the Council Day Centre, Sandy Lane, Caldicot.|
|Fri Sep 27th||The fourth Friday in September at the Council Day Centre. Sandy Lane, Caldicot.|
|Singing for Pleasure|
|Mon Sep 9th||NO MEETINGS IN SEPTEMBER|
|Mon Oct 14th||Next Meeting|
|Mon Oct 28th||Next Meeting.|
|Mon Nov 11th||Next Meeting.|
|Mon Nov 25th||Next Meeting.|
|Mon Dec 9th||Next Meeting.|
Mon Nov 25th
→Fri Nov 29th
|Turkey/Tinsel Monday 25th November to Friday 29th 2019 at the Grand Hotel,Cumbria. £269.00pp.|
This is a holiday at the Grand Hotel,Grange-over-Sands,Cumbria & price includes:Executive coach travel,4 nights' dinner bed & breakfast,Entertainment every evening,Pre-dinner glass of bubbly or sherry on first evening,Fun festive quiizzes. Excursions to the breath-taking Lake District & Scenic drive around the Yorkshire Dales.
The hotel was built in 1880 & is set in 20 acres of private gardens & woodlands overlooking Morecombe Bay.
Can I please ask you for your deposits for this holiday of £50 per person at the next meeting. PAM.
It is strongly advised that you ensure you are adequately covered by insurance. Eswards can offer this at £44.00 per person subject to policy terms and conditions.
Mon Feb 10th 2020
→Fri Feb 14th 2020
|Caernarvon. The Celtic Royal Hotel.|
|Fri May 1st 2020||The King & I - Bristol Hippodrome May 2020|
This is now full & I will need your ticket money of £52 by June the latest. I have yet to book a coach for this afternoon matinee but there will be approximately £20 each to pay for that. I don't need that until nearer the day.
|Tue Aug 27th||AREA TBA WALK LEADERS Fran & Avril. ROUTE TBA PUB TBA|
|Tue Sep 3rd||AREA Clearwell.WALK LEADER Myfanwy. PUB The Orepool Inn.|
|Tue Sep 10th||AREA The Wetlands. WALK LEADER Jenny. ROUTE Wetlands Car Park. PUB The Llanwern Bull.|
|Tue Sep 17th||AREA Mathern. WALK LEADERS Ann & Dee. PUB The Millers Arms.|
|Tue Sep 24th||AREA Undy/Magor. WALK LEADERS Ann & Jim. PUB TBA|
|Tue Aug 27th||AREA Bigsweir. WALK LEADER Richard. MEET Bigsweir Bridge. PICNIC REDBROOK PARK.|
|Tue Sep 3rd||AREA Suckstone. WALK LEADERS David & Jaque. MEET Staunton PUB TBA|
|Tue Sep 3rd||AREA Clearwell. WALK LEADER Myffanwy. ROUTE TBA PUB The Orepool Inn.|
|Tue Sep 10th||WALKING HOLIDAY|
|Tue Sep 17th||AREA The Garth. WALK LEADERS Ann & Peter. MEET Lewis Arms Pentyrch. PUB Lewis Arms CF15 8PN|
|Tue Sep 24th||AREA Tregare. WALK LEADER Jim. MEET Turn at Raglan Castle to Tregare. PUB The Huntsman.|
|Tue Aug 27th||BUS TRIP TO CIRENCESTER. WALK LEADER Liz.|
THE WALK The walk is 6 miles & essentially follows the trail to the source of the River Thames. It is an easy walk because the terrain is flat on grassland & country lanes. There are only 4 stiles. However you will need to wear sturdy shoes or boots because the grass may be long in places. Part of the route takes the Monarch Way which runs from Worcester to Brighton & was used by Charles 2nd to escape capture in 1651. Liz was unable to make it a circular walk so essentially we will be taking the same route to the source there & back. There is a planned break for a coffee/snack, with the aim of allowing people to sort out lunch for themselves on the return to Cirencester.
WHAT TO SEE IN CIRENCESTER. It would be useful to look at the Tourist Information website for this historical town. The following are a number of things to see:-
The Corinium Museum that has a great collection of Roman finds.
The Roman Amphitheatre.
The 11c parish church of St John the Baptist.
Cirencester Park that is part of the Bathurst Estate.
The New Brewery Arts Centre.
The town is also full of characterful small shops,tea rooms,pubs,& restaurants, so there should be enough to keep us interested for a full day out.
START TIMES & PICK UP POINTS WILL BE SENT OUT THE WEEK BEFORE THE TRIP
|Tue Sep 3rd||WALK LEADERS Linda & Henry. AREA TBA. PUB TBA|
|Tue Sep 10th||WALK LEADER John Tucker. AREA TBA. PUB TBA|
|Tue Sep 17th||WALK LEADERS Jackie J & Carol. AREA Local Walk. PUB TBA|
|Tue Sep 24th||WALK LEADERS Jan & Judy S. AREA TBA. PUB TBA|
|Tue Oct 1st||WALK LEADERS Bill & Jen. AREA TBA. PUB TBA|
|Tue Oct 8th||WALK LEADER Rob. AREA Local walk. PUB Coach & Horses.|
|Tue Oct 15th||WALK LEADER Dave E. AREA Cwm Lickie. PUB The Queen.|
|Tue Oct 22nd||WALK LEADERS Lindy & John. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Nov 5th||WALK LEADER Rob. AREA Forest of Dean. PUB Orepool.|
|Tue Nov 12th||WALK LEADERS Maurice & Dorothy. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Nov 19th||WALK LEADER Alan Morris. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Nov 26th||WALK LEADER Delma. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Dec 3rd||WALK LEADER Phil. AREA Forest of Dean. PUB Nags Head.|
|Tue Dec 10th||WALK LEADERS Wendy/Judi. AREA Cwmcarn. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Dec 17th||WALK LEADER Judi Snell. AREA Local walk. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Dec 24th||XMAS HOLIDAY. NO OFFICIAL WALK PLANNED.|
|Tue Dec 31st||NEW YEARS EVE. NO OFFICIAL WALK PLANNED.|
|Tue Jan 7th 2020||WALK LEADERS Lyn & Jean. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Jan 14th 2020||WALK LEADERS Brian & Colin. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Jan 21st 2020||WALK LEADER Rose. AREA Wye Valley ? PUB TBA.|
|Tue Jan 28th 2020||WALK LEADER Phil. AREA Risca. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Feb 4th 2020||WALK LEADER John Tucker. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Feb 11th 2020||WALK LEADERS Joy & Judi M. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Feb 18th 2020||WALK LEADERS Jen & John. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Feb 25th 2020||WALK LEADERS Jackie J,Carol,Sonia,Jackie C. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Mar 3rd 2020||WALK LEADERS Linda & Henry. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Mar 10th 2020||WALK LEADERS Jan P & Judi Snell. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Mar 17th 2020||WALK LEADERS Marie & Gill. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Mar 24th 2020||WALK LEADERS Margaret & Linda L. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|
|Tue Mar 31st 2020||WALK LEADERS Bill & Jen. AREA TBA. PUB TBA.|