Debating Forum Two
This course gives us all the opportunity to debate in some depth, questions of global as well as national concern. The idea is, to give all those of us who wish to examine the pros and cons of an issue the opportunity to research a little into the subject and share this with the rest of the group.
The course is envisaged to run for about a year, discussing about 20 different subjects. There will then be opportunities to add a few more, if desired.
It will take place on ZOOM, every FIRST and THIRD WEDNESDAY at 2.00 pm.
Contact the Study Group Leader -- Click on the icon at the top right-hand side of this page. if you wish to join us or want further information.
The course will start on WEDNESDAY, 5th of JANUARY 2022
SUBJECTS FOR DISCUSSION:
1) Do we ever learn from the past ? ( from History and/or personal experience ? ) When did we ? Why ?
2) Should the House of Lords be abolished or just changed or is it actually an effective political institution ?
3) What is the function of the BBC – neutral reporting ? Government mouthpiece? As it competes with commercial rivals, has it changed/improved?
4) Should we re-introduce conscription ? What is the role of our military nowadays ?
5) How has family life changed in the past 70 years ? If it is at the basis of a well functioning society, how is this reflected in the UK ?
6) Why are we ultimately unable to reduce/eliminate the use of fossil fuels and so reduce global warming ?
7) Is there such a thing as ‘justice’ and is our legal system the best method of dealing fairly with criminals, from repeat petty offenders to murderers ?
8) Has the time come to speak out in favour of male liberation ?
9) Does our education system require a revolution ? What should be taught and when ? Is it still a ‘One Fit For All’?
10) Irrespective of political persuasion should we not ensure that utilities are nationalised ? Should national assets ever be sold to foreign investors/governments ?
11) The myth of the innocence of children – examples of their enjoyment of cruelty towards others are plentiful, from bullying to murder. What does that tell us of ourselves and them ?|
12) The self-producing robot : what are its uses, how is it to be regulated and, where do we fit in ?
13) “The nuclear and extended family should look after its incapacitated members, including in particular the elderly, not the state “.
14) Is it really desirable to re-introduce wild animals into habitats where they no longer exist ? Does it not cause more problems than good ?
15) In an increasingly more female orientated society could we envisage a majority female military ? Would it matter ?
16) Human Rights – what are they ? Why do countries opt out, if we all believe that they should be universally recognised ?
17) Suggestions by participants
18) Suggestions by participants
19) Suggestions by participants
20) Suggestions by participants