USA as a Super Power...
How and why the United States became a superpower and what happened then
New Zoom Group Starts 2.00 PM Wednesday 28th October
Thereafter every 1st & 3rd Wednesday at 2.00PM
By looking at some of the seminal decisions the United States has taken over the past 150 years and analysing their historical effects, this course will attempt to answer the question why the United States had to become a superpower.
We shall then look at how the US fulfilled this role, how it justified its actions and whether the decisions and actions taken proved commensurate with the role and responsibilities of a superpower.
Finally, we shall look at the US’s present position and discuss whether its status as superpower is as strong as ever or whether it is waning and/or threatened by others.
1) The Monroe Doctrine and its repercussions ----
2) Acquisition of ‘protectorates’ from Spain
3) The Internal Contradictions: AMERICAN CONSTITUTION vs SLAVERY……..ISOLATIONISM versus INVOLVEMENT …….THE EUROPEAN HERITAGE AND PAST ……
4) The 1st W. War and the 2nd World War
5) Managing expectations: responsibilities for the restructuring of EUROPE AND JAPAN
6) COMMUNISM and how to contain it ; KOREA and VIETNAM
7) Coming to terms with FAILURE : after Vietnam and towards the BOSNIAN WAR……SOUTH AMERICA…..the Middle East
8) 9/11 and the FALL OUT…….Afghanistan/Iraq/Libya
9) The Rise of CHINA and GLOBALISM
10) Superpower ?...Is/has USA’s role been for ‘good’ or has it created more harm ? …Would the USSR have made a better superpower? And is China on the way to dethrone the USA ?
Contact the Group Leader by Clicking on the message icon --- Top Right of this page