"The Theatre Appreciation and Theatre Studies groups, led by Ros Jackson, joined forces on an historic walk from The Old Vic theatre to the Borough of Southwark taking in bankside along the Thames to include the history of The Globe and Rose Theatres, and the many interesting facts along the way." The photo shows the group at The Anchor Inn which was built in 1775 on the site of a much older inn from which Samuel Pepys watched the Great Fire of London across the river. Southwark was home to many famous names including Dickens, Chaucer and Keats. In 1598 Shakespeare and his fellow actors brought the original Globe Theatre over from the other side of the Thames in pieces and reassembled it on bankside since land rent was cheaper. Many of Shakespeare's famous plays were performed in the original theatre. Among other interesting facts, we learned a very important one: that there were lots of brothels in the area in mediaeval and Tudor times. The way that public houses showed that they were not brothels was by hanging their signs at right angles to the building, whereas the brothels' signs were painted flat on the building."