Creative Writing, South Bristol
What it is: A creative writing group which aims to encourage and support new writers in whatever they wish to write.
When it is: To be decided by present members.
Where it is: At members' homes in south Bristol.
Suitable for all budding writers, from novices to more experienced writers. We will cover all aspects of writing: characterisation, dialogue, plot, structure and also how to keep going when the going gets tough. I hope the group will encourage those who have yet to write a word and also those who have a project in mind.
1. To continue and, if possible, expand the group
2. To help group members develop the craft of writing by:
• Providing a supportive environment for group members to read and appraise one another’s works.
• Sharing learning from other creative writing fora.
• Sharing information found concerning local events, competitions and festivals.
• Identifying local published writers who might be able to support the group on an occasional basis.
How might we best use the time at our monthly meetings?.
• Set aside some time at the beginning or the end of the meeting to share what we have learned over the previous month.
• To ensure that one or more of the members are ready to read a piece they have written.
• Anyone wishing to read a piece of more than about 500 words should send out the manuscript in advance so the group can give more considered feedback.
• Select and discuss topics relating to writing effectively e.g. how group members approach research for their book or story; writing dialogue; writing for magazines and/or competitions; editing and proofreading.
Timing and contact
Following a recent change in its leadership the group has decided to take a sabbatical break until September. If you are interested in joining the group when it reconvenes, please contact the group leader using the Pigeon Post 'send a message' link.
Updated 04/07/2019 GS