REGULAR MONTHLY MEETINGS
Our Regular Monthly Meetings are on the fourth Tuesday of the month, starting at 2pm in the Bridport United Church Hall in East Street when we have a speaker. See details below. It is also the chance to hear about new groups, meet friends and new members, and have a cup of tea or coffee.
(Very occasionally [once?] a speaker has had to cancel at very short notice. Do you have a talk ready to go that you could 'pop back home', collect and present? If so, please contact the Talks Organiser, Julian Rosbrook by clicking this Talks link and discuss it with him).
We hold (relatively) regular coffee mornings when members can simply turn up, put down the shopping and enjoy cake, coffee and a chat in exchange for a donation of around £1. All are welcome, including non-member friends.
See 'Social Events' below for details. Contact Gillian Summers on 01308 421966 for more information.
OUTINGS & EVENTS
Sybil Godden is the Events Organiser and makes arrangements for a variety of one day trips, operated by Crossway Travel.
These trips won’t be exclusively for our members as Crossways currently provide this service for several neighbouring U3A's, but it’s likely that we will make up the majority of participants. These trips will be guaranteed to take place, as part of Crossways’ programme. Crossways prices for U3A per person are in brackets but, depending on numbers going on each outing, there may be a modest reduction in price for each participant. The more, the cheaper!
All Crossways excursions will pick up from Bridport Bus Station. See details of the outings further down the page.
Booking forms will be issued six weeks prior to the event taking place. Forms will also be available at the Monthly Meeting for those members not on e-mail.
It would help if those interested would let Sybil Godden know of your interest in a particular outing. (This does not guarantee a place, which can only be confirmed once you have filled in the application form and sent your cheque).
If anyone is interested in helping organise any of the above, and many other possible outings, please do let Sybil know. Contact her on 01308 428220 or use the Message link at the top of this page.
Theatre and other trips available by courtesy of other U3As etc.
Apart from U3A events that have been planned for the Bridport & District U3A in 2019, members also have the opportunity of participating in outings arranged outside our own U3A. These include trips arranged by John Bartholomew of the Heritage Coast (Lyme Regis) U3A. A summary of outings he is willing to arrange for his own branch, and for the Bridport and Crewkerne branches of the U3A follows:
• Welsh National Opera: `Un Ballo In Maschera` Theatre Royal Plymouth. 3 April, 7.30. Excellent seats in the front of The Upper Circle: £31.50 reduced from £36. All-in around £45.
• The Comedy About A Bank Robbery` from the same team that brought us `The Play That Goes Wrong.` Mayflower Theatre Southampton. £27.50 in the stalls. Total cost in the region of £40. 3 April. Matinee.
• A general purpose trip to London South Bank on 10-12 April. Premier Inn double room about £135/night, coach fare about £40pp. See the London link above for more details
• `Matilda` - Mayflower Theatre Southampton, 27 June. Stalls seats £48.50 reduced from £60. All-in about £65.
• A Day at The Sidmouth Folk Festival: Wednesday 8 August. Coach from Crewkerne at 09.15; Bridport 09.45; Lyme Regis 10.15. Arrive Sidmouth 11.00 am. Depart 5.00pm. £10.
• Bridgwater Carnival: Saturday 2 November. Leave Crewkerne around 2.00 pm by coach; Grandstand seats £20; travel £10. Events from 6.00-8.00 pm. Return by 10.00 pm?
• `Rigoletto`: Welsh National Opera at The Mayflower Southampton. Saturday 30 November at 3.00pm. An early start would open up the possibility of some Christmas shopping followed by a performance of one of Verdi`s greatest operas. Stalls seats plus travel likely to be around £55pp
• `Marriage of Figaro` Cardiff Bay. Sunday 23 February at 4.00 pm. All-in around £45-£50pp.
• `We Will Rock You`. Ben Elton play based on the music of `Queen`. Bristol Hippodrome 18 March matinee. All-in cost around £45
• `Mamma Mia` coming to The Mayflower, Southampton February 2020. Price TBA
Anyone interested in any of these trips should contact John B directly; his e-address is email@example.com. If there appears to be sufficient interest to run a trip he will get back to everyone, individually, to seek confirmation. Only at this point does anyone become responsible for the cost of the trip.
Finally, Crossways Travel, whose coaches we use for our own outings, also run coach holidays both within the UK and in Continental Europe. Details of these tours can be found on their website (www.crosswaystravel.co.uk) or from their brochure – I have a few copies. If anyone wishes to book one of these holidays, then Crossways will discount the price by £15 for each U3A member as long as you give them your U3A membership number at the time of booking.
|Dates for your Diary|
|Tue Jul 23rd||Dr Tony Davis presents a talk “Why Diets Don’t Work” a talk into recent research into bacterial genetics|
|Tue Aug 27th||Brian Freeland – Director and scriptwriter presents “The view from the Wings”|
|Tue Sep 24th||Matthew Denny presents The 1951 Festival of Britain|
|Tue Oct 22nd||James Feaver presents: Food for Free – foraging for wild food|
|Tue Nov 26th||Ian Williamson describes time “Trekking in Machu Picchu”|
|Tue Dec 17th||Bring your brains and a pencil for The Christmas Quiz|
|Tue Jan 28th 2020||Dr. Keith Hooper presents a talk entitled - "Faith, Angels and the Poor“ from his biography of Charles Dickens|
|Tue Feb 25th 2020||Rejoin Raj Adgopul on a laugh littered “Journey as an immigrant to England”|
|Tue Mar 24th 2020||Rains, Mains and Drains. A talk by a Treatment Manager from Wessex Water|
|Tue Apr 28th 2020||Annual General Meeting followed by Matt Crocker telling us about The History of Crossways Travel|
|Thu Aug 1st||Frogmore House|
|Sat Sep 21st||Fishbourne Roman Palace|
|Sat Oct 12th||Alexander Palace Stitch show|
|Thu Nov 7th||Bristol Shopper|
|Thu Dec 19th||Romsey Carol Service|
|Fri Sep 6th||Coffee morning, WI Hall, North St, 10.30 - 12.00|
|Fri Nov 8th||Coffee morning, WI Hall, North St, 10.30 - 12.00|