Welcome to Bourton & District U3A
We regret that due to the current coronavirus restrictions all normal activities have had to be suspended. The Committee remains active in the background providing support and advice to the Group Organisers who are doing their best to maintain contact with the members of their groups.
We expect to be ready to resume our normal programme of meetings and events just as soon as conditions allow; the details shown below will then be fully applicable once more.
We would like to welcome you to Bourton & District U3A and hope you find it interesting, rewarding and, most importantly, enjoyable.
We serve the Gloucestershire village of Bourton-on-the Water and the market towns of Stow on the Wold and Moreton-in-Marsh. The surrounding area covers picturesque villages and hamlets including the Rissingtons, the Oddingtons, the Slaughters and the Swells.
We are located among the rolling hills of the North Cotswolds, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, enjoying some iconic views of the English countryside.
Our logo represents the Bridge over the river Windrush in Bourton-on-the Water, Stow on the Wold’s historic Market Cross and the 19th century Redesdale Hall situated in the centre of Moreton-in-Marsh.
WHAT IS U3A?
- U3A is a UK movement of retired and semi-retired people who come together to continue their educational, social and creative interests in a friendly and informal environment. It started in 1971 and there are now 1,040 U3As with 430,000 members.
- The U3A is open to anyone who is retired or semi-retired. There are no age limits and we welcome men and women, couples and singles. We are non-political and non-religious.
- The basic principles of U3A are self help, sharing skills, learning new things and making new friends. The motto is “Live, Laugh, Learn”.
- The National U3A, the Third Age Trust, runs summer schools and workshops, as well as arranging public liability insurance and various licences. They can put us in touch with volunteer subject experts and have a library of resources, such as books and DVDs available for lending. They also publish the “Third Age Matters” magazine which is delivered to all members five time times a year.
- Further information about the National organisation may be found by using the tab at the top of this page.
BOURTON AND DISTRICT U3A
- B & D U3A enrolled its first member in July 2011. Since then membership has grown steadily and today stands at close to 400.
- We are a charity and all our Committee Members and Group Organisers are volunteers. We don’t use paid tutors; we share our skills and knowledge and learn for the pleasure of learning.
- We produce a quarterly Newsletter, which is mailed to members’ home addresses. Please refer to the Newsletter page for the latest issue and back numbers.
HOW DO I JOIN AND WHAT DOES IT COST?
The subscription is £12 for singles and £22 for couples. For further information and how to join please refer to the Membership page.
Our U3A holds Monthly Members' Meetings on the 4th Wednesday of every month at the British Legion Hall in Bourton-on-the-Water. Entrance is by Mary's Laundry, High Street and parking is available behind the Hall. Coffee, tea and biscuits are served from 10.00-10.30am; a charge of £2 a head is payable.
There is time for members to have a chat and look at the information table. It's a good opportunity to sign up for new groups and outings before the speaker begins their talk at 10.45am. Committee members and group organisers wear name badges. Do come and say hello! Meetings end at 12 noon.
Visitors are welcome to attend a main meeting or an individual interest group meeting to help them to decide whether they wish to participate fully in future events but are expected to join the U3A after attending one meeting or two at the most.
We run about 40 Interest Groups covering a wide range of activities. We draw on the knowledge, experience, skills and enthusiasm of our members to organise and run these groups which provide opportunities for learning in a relaxed and friendly environment. Group meetings are usually held monthly in a variety of locations ranging from one of the local halls to members’ homes.
Go to the Groups page to display a list of the Interest groups, click on the name of the group which particularly interests you and a detailed information page will open up.
THE COTSWOLD LINK
Bourton & District U3A is a member of the Cotswold Link, a group of 25 U3As based mainly in Gloucestershire, Worcestershire and Herefordshire. Go to the Membership page for further information about any of the members, part of the South West Region of the National U3A Organisation.
Any member can start a new Interest Group. If you have an idea for a new Group the first step is to contact the Groups Co-ordinator for a preliminary discussion. We will tell you about the implications of starting and running a Group and let you know what to do next.
We arrange a diverse programme of events throughout the year, including group meetings with invited speakers, social events and outings to the theatre, gardens and other places of interest.
For details of the U3A publication "Third Age Matters" magazine, please click here Newsletters.