Music - World Music 1
This group is only open to current Members of the Belper and District U3A or one of the Derbyshire Cluster U3As.
- When we meet 3rd Tuesday evening of the month 7.15-9.30pm. In homes of joint co-ordinators
- Any costs None (except when we are seized with the need to buy a piece of music we’ve just heard!)
- Who would enjoy it Everyone with an open ear and interest in music from around the world, whether traditional or modern.
- What the group is aiming to do We aim to listen to and learn about music from many places across the world. Group members bring along music (CD, Vinyl) to share and explain what they know and have found out about the music, its traditions, and the culture it comes from.
- Examples of activities, past or planned We alternate open sessions (we each bring some music, from anywhere!) and ‘themed’ sessions. These have included music from Transylvania, the Indian sub-continent, US Blue-grass, and West Africa (traditional drumming, hi-life, afro-beat, kora). There is usually a follow up sheet circulated containing a list of what was played and suggestions of other things to listen to plus web links. Sometimes we watch DVDs/videos/You-tube clips of the music or musicians we’ve been introduced to.
For further information please contact the Group Co-ordinator by clicking on the 'mail-to' envelope in the top right-hand corner of this page.