NEWS, NOTICES & ANNOUNCEMENTS
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a serious impact on our social activities this year, but they have not ceased. Your committee continues to meet monthly to review our activities. This is a highlight of the Bearsted group activities currently accessible to members.
Notices & Monthly Reminder
Each month members are sent a Reminder for the next monthly meeting. This includes details of the speaker, notices and articles contributed by members.
Request for Contributions
Everyone is invited to make a contribution to the next Reminder or to comment on the current one. Please contact the Reminder Editor Damian using the blue pigeon send a message button at the top of the page if you have a contribution to add. Book groups might like to send a photograph of the cover of a book they have been reading for instance (see also below), or even a picture of a member carrying out a U3A activity. Similarly, if anyone has ideas about activities our U3A could be engaging in during the pandemic (subject, as usual, to the latest guidelines), please share them.
These are being held using Zoom conference software, and we have a full programme until January 2020. Subject to government guidance, we hope to restart meetings in Detling village hall in January. All members receive a calendar invitation email to the Zoom meetings, and if anyone has any problems with this, please let us know.
Inevitably these have been heavily curtailed, particularly those involving close personal contact. Some of the village halls we use for these do not yet have a reopening date, for instance Detling and Sandling.
All group leaders are required to undertake a risk assessment for their group before they can be restarted. But many are operating using Zoom, for instance:
Members on their own;
Music listening & practise groups;
Outdoor activities, for example bird watching and walking we expect to restart in the Autumn
Meetings suspended until further notice.
CALL PUSH RESCUE
After the talk and training at the end of the July meeting the British Heart Foundation site How to do CPR may be useful. Click How to do CPR in the Links panel at the side of the page.
MEDWAY U3A JAZZ INTEREST GROUP
Public Web Forum
In case it should be of any interest to our members, Medway U3A have told us that their Jazz Interest Group has its own public web forum, which has now been running for over a year. To visit the site click Medway U3A Jazz Forum in the Links panel at the side of this page.
OMNI MUSICA GROUP - A new music group has now started. Do you play a musical instrument? Perhaps you used to play a while ago but might be a bit rusty. Omni Musica Group will be aimed at those who can read music and have moved beyond the 'absolute beginner' stage. We will play three or four part arrangements covering a whole variety of music, from 'Renaissance' to 'Rock & Roll', with all pieces being arranged specifically for our group. To register an interest, please email the OMG coordinator by clicking the blue pigeon logo above. Meetings are held on the 2nd & 5th Tuesday of the month in the church room at Holy Cross in Bearsted. This ia a shared group with members from Maidstone and Bearsted U3A. See the OMG group page for details and music.
SPEAKERS AT MONTHLY MEETINGS
- Although we have to book speakers months or sometimes years in advance we are always very keen to hear members suggestions and recommendations for speakers or subjects for our monthly meetings. Use the blue pigeon send a message button to send a quick email to our Speakers Secretary Steve who will be pleased to hear your views.
GROUP CO-ORDINATORS PAGE
- A Group Co-ordinators page has been created to provide additional information for group co-ordinators. Go to the GROUPS page and click the Group Co-ordinators option.
CAR SHARING & LIFTS
- If you are able to car share it is the easiest way to reduce the car parking pressure at our monthly meetings.
- Are you unable to get to monthly meetings due to lack of transport? Could you transport additional members to the meetings? Add your name to the Lifts page if you are seeking a lift or are able to provide a lift to our monthly meetings. To view the page click the Lifts button at the top of this page,
- Bearsted & District U3A have been in correspondence with The Inland Revenue and we would advise all members that gift aid will not be claimed.
A U3A tradition
- If your Group Leader is kind enough to provide refreshments in their home during your Group meeting, it is a well established U3A custom to leave a donation, as we do at our general meetings.
USEFUL IT LINKS
- Click here for a page of useful IT links and then click one of the listed links to go there.