We can’t go out to a Quiz so the Quiz comes to you
Hi all you quizzers out there. I’m going to put a quiz on the web-site each week including a table-top round. Have a go and I’ll put the answers on the web the following week along with the next quiz. Keep safe and see you all soon. Chris x x (You can find all the usual Quizzing Group information at the foot of this page.)
Quiz 2 (Quiz 1, with answers, further down the page)
1. Which Kirsty replaced Sue Lawley on ‘Desert Island Discs’?
2. The Abbey Theatre is in which Irish City?
3. Shrewsbury is the county town of which county?
4. Which animal was Androcles very friendly with?
5. How many notes are there in an octave?
6. What colour is magenta?
7. What do the initials plc stand for after a company name?
8. Where does a purser usually work?
9. What name is given to a young seal?
10. St Swithin’s Day is in which month?
11. Which day of the week is the Muslim Holy Day?
12. Which fruit is used to make kirsch?
13. Who was born John Eric Bartholomew?
14. Which country produces Gruyere cheese?
15. Francis Drake’s ship ‘Pelican’ was renamed what?
16. Who was the first cricketer to win TV’s ‘Strictly Come Dancing’?
17. Andrea Levy wrote the award-winning novel titled ‘Small’ what?
18. Which country was called Albion by Greeks and Romans?
19. In which country is the battle site of El Alamein?
20. Where do mosquitoes lay their eggs?
and again, if you still want more, click on this Flower Quiz link.
Quiz 1 (Answers below)
1. What goes with Parsley & Sage in the Simon & Garfunkel song?
2. Which musical was made about Eva Peron?
3. What was the full name of the satirical TV programme abbreviated to TW3?
4. Mont Blanc stands in France and which other country?
5. What is the largest structure ever made by living creatures?
6. What is a Blenheim Orange?
7. What is the name of the cave found on the Scottish island of Staffa?
8. How long must a person be dead to qualify for a blue plaque?
9. What links Terry Wogan and the Brighouse & Rastrick Brass Band?
10. Rupert Bear is linked with which newspaper?
11. What is measured by a pedometer?
12. How many decades are there in a millennium?
13. Which country was formerly ruled by President Tito?
14. What is another name for the linden tree?
15. Other than John Cleese’s character what was the other Basil in ‘Fawlty Towers’?
16. Which day’s child is ‘full of grace’ according to the traditional rhyme?
17. What colour is sable in heraldry?
18. What was Billie Jean King’s surname before she married?
19. According to the saying what is ‘nine points of the Law’?
20. What do the Americans call a dinner jacket?
and if this still leaves you wanting more, click on this What Dog link for the table-top round.
Answers for Quiz 1 and What Dog
Quiz 1 What Dog
1. Rosemary & Thyme 1. Dalmation
2. Evita 2. Bloodhound
3. That was the week that was 3. Pomeranian
4. Italy 4. Bulldog
5. The Great Barrier Reef 5. Whippet
6. An Apple 6. Lhasa Apso
7. Fingal’s Cave 7. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
8. 20 years 8. Golden Retriever
9. The Floral Dance 9. Bassett Hound
10. Daily Express 10. Boxer
11. Walking distance 11. Bichon Frise
12. 100 12. Clumber Spaniel
13. Yugoslavia 13. Dandy Didmont
14. Lime 14. Saluki
15. A rat 15. Beddlington Terrier
The group continues to flourish and we now have 30 to 40 people coming to the quiz nights including several new members. We meet on a Thursday evening at 7.30pm every fortnight and although at times the questions can be challenging we really have a good laugh at our ignorance!!! Attendance is £1 for a short time to build up funds to ensure we are able to continue giving the outstanding prizes to our winning team (don’t get too excited, it’s only a small bottle of wine for each of the team members!)
Our Quiz nights at Anlaby Village Hall continue successfully. We have welcomed a few new members who have returned (always a good sign) and ample parking is available near to the Village Hall. Thanks to everybody who attends for helping us to swiftly set-up and clear-away.
The Quiz will take whatever format the quizmaster-for-the-night decides. Several people have already offered to lead a Quiz but any more offers are always welcome. To try to keep the event as social as possible (i.e. we will not be ‘Eggheads’!!!!!!!) teams will be arranged when people arrive each night so you will have the chance to get to know other people and not worry about coming on your own without a ‘pre-formed’ team. Remember you don’t have to come every time and you don’t need to be part of a team, these are organised on the night. It is amazing to realise that despite the number of quizzes we very seldom get any repeated questions. Our Christmas Quiz broke all records for attendance with 48 Quizzers plus the Quizmaster. We were fighting with the Christmas tree for space!
If you like Quizzes please come along anytime and join in. New members are always made to feel very welcome. We don’t take things too seriously and a fun night can be guaranteed.
For more information, please ring Chris Watson on 659773, or contact her by email by clicking on the 'Bird' on the top right corner of this page.