We can’t go out to a Quiz so the Quiz comes to you
Hi all you quizzers out there. I’m going to put a quiz on the web-site each week including a table-top round. Have a go and I’ll put the answers on the web the following week along with the next quiz. Keep safe and see you all soon. Chris x x (You can find all the usual Quizzing Group information at the foot of this page.)
1. Which Tory MP earned the name ‘Goldilocks’?
2. Has a violin 4, 6 or 8 strings?
3. Where did Peter Mayle spend a year of his life?
4. Which valuable things were made by Thomas Sheraton?
5. What type of crazy cops were created by Mack Sennett?
6. What is the least number of Mondays that can occur in July?
7. Bob Hawke was Prime Minister of which country?
8. On TV who played ‘The Equaliser’?
9. On which river are the Niagara Falls?
10. A Model T Ford was nicknamed ‘Tin’ what?
11. In movies what colour is Shrek?
12. The Matterhorn is in which European mountain range?
13. Steak au poivre is steak covered in what?
14. What was the name of Admiral Nelson’s ship?
15. Which shipping line did the Titanic belong to?
16. If Dennis the Menace what is Beryl?
17. Which French port is closest to Britain?
18. Who composed the music for ‘Cats’?
19. Which soup is made from a variety of vegetables and pasta?
20. Tea contains which acid?
and again, if you still want more, click on this By Any Other Name link.
Quiz 6 (Answers below)
1. Which firework is named after a Saint?
2. What hormone is injected by an Epi-pen?
3. How many centimetres are there in 6.5 metres?
4. In the TV song who was ‘the Wonderhorse’?
5. After how many years must an election be held in Britain?
6. Jamaica is in which sea?
7. In the 60s what was Biba?
8. Which month of the year in Britain includes the shortest day?
9. ‘Shaun the Sheep’ was a spin off from which animation?
10. In the Bible on which mountain was Moses told the Ten Commandments?
11. At which park is Princess Diana buried?
12. For which sport is Chris Eubank famous?
13. In which battle was King Harold killed?
14. Which is the largest castle in Britain?
15. In which capital is ‘The Capitol’ building?
16. What was the name of Superman’s home planet?
17. Bridge Farm and Brookfield Farm feature in which long-running soap?
18. Which phobia describes the fear of spiders?
19. What type of vehicle is seen on the Cresta Run?
20. Dictionary expert Suzie Dent features regularly on which programme?
and again, if you still want more, click on this Initial Letters of Phrases link.
Answers to Quiz 6
1. Catherine wheel
7. A boutique
9. Wallace & Gromit
10. Mount Sinai
11. Althorp Park
13. Battle of Hastings
14. Windsor Castle
17. The Archers
Answers to Initial Letters of well-known phrases or sayings
1. Off the record
2. Fly off the handle
3. Take the mickey
4. Pull a fast one
5. Knocked for six
6. Poke your nose in
7. Tie the knot
8. Go fifty fifty
9. Tighten your belt
10. Do a runner
11. Nip in the bud
12. As bold as brass
13. Cut and dried
14. A snake in the grass
15. A pig in a poke
16. To eat humble pie
17. Once bitten twice shy
18. The man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo
19. Grasp the nettle
20. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
Quiz 5 (Answers below)
1. Which school did Prince Harry attend when he was 13?
2. The Spanish city of Seville is famous for what?
3. Where does the Trooping of the Colour take place in London?
4. What is the main ingredient of the drink mead?
5. In which month is the State Opening of Parliament?
6. Who has children called Poppy, Daisy, Petal, Buddy and River?
7. Which letter describes a soft lead pencil?
8. How long is an American president’s term of office?
9. In medicine what do the letters ENT stand for?
10. Whose life story was entitled ‘Stand By Your Man’?
11. In which Scottish city are the Rebus novels set?
12. Which children’s favourite bear said he had ‘very little brain’?
13. What is the popular name for the antirrhinum?
14. Dr Frank-N-Furter is a character in which musical?
15. Who wrote ‘It Shouldn’t Happen to a Vet’?
16. Which English county has a border with only one other county?
17. What colour is normally associated with ecological groups?
18. Which country did the Paso Doble dance originate in?
19. What is Britain’s busiest ferry passenger port?
20. For which sport is Pat Eddery famous?
and again, if you still want more, click on this Cryptic Chocolate Quiz link.
Answers for Quiz 5
3. Horse Guards Parade
6. Jamie Oliver
8. Four years
9. Ears , Nose and Throat
10. Tammy Wynette
12. Winnie the Pooh
14. Rocky Horror Show
15. James Herriot
20. Horse racing
Answers to Cryptic Chocolate
1. After Eight
2. Mars Bar
3. Black Magic
4. Milk Tray
10. Quality Street
11. Milky Way
13. Planets (made by Mars)
17. Cadbury’s Fruit and Nut?
20. Lion bar
22. Walnut Whip!
24. Terry’s Chocolate Orange
25. Terry’s All Gold
Quiz 4 (Answers below)
1. Which sport would you see at Chepstow?
2. Which animals live in an earth or lair?
3. Along with white, what colours appear on the Italian flag?
4. In the novel what kind of animal is Tarka?
5. Which characters sang ‘The Bare Necessities’ inn “The Jungle Book”?
6. Who is Sooty and Sweep’s female friend?
7. Who was pop’s first Knight?
8. What was the nationality of Rimsky-Korsakov?
9. What is used by a builder to check that something is level?
10. What was the motto of the Three Musketeers?
11. Which Royal residence stands by the River Dee?
12. Which of the four Channel Islands is the smallest?
13. In which year was Everest conquered?
14. A loganberry is a cross between a raspberry and what?
15. Who wrote ‘The Hunchback of Notre Dame’?
16. In which county is Bodmin Moor?
17. Where in Britain are the Royal Botanical Gardens?
18. In which month is the Trooping of the Colour?
19. In legal terms what do the initials QC stand for?
20. Who was asked to ride ‘a bicycle made for two’ in the song?
and again, if you still want more, click on this Name the Actors link.
Answers to Quiz 4
1. Horse racing
3. Red and Green
5. Baloo & Mowgli
7. Sir Cliff Richard
9. A spirit level
10. All for one and one for all
15. Victor Hugo
19. Queen’s Counsel
Answers to Name the Actors and the shows/film/tv
1. David Tennant Richard II
2. Daniel Craig Judi Dench Skyfall
3. Pam Ferris Darling Buds of May
4. Alfie Boe Les Miserables
5. Patrick McNee The Avengers
6. Julie Walters Celia Imrie Acorn Antiques
7. Meryl Streep The Iron Lady
8. Orlando Bloom The Hobbit
9. Gone With the Wind Clark Gable Vivien Leigh
10. Helen Mirren Prime Suspect
11. Michael Ball Hairspray
12. Patrick Stewart Star Trek
Quiz 3 (Answers below)
1. In which month is Thanksgiving celebrated in America?
2. On which street is the Bank of England?
3. Which coin was first introduced in the UK in 1983?
4. Which phobia is the fear of open spaces?
5. Who was the God of War in Roman Mythology?
6. Which alcoholic drink contains juniper as a flavour?
7. Which country is famous for Moussaka?
8. What is the salary paid to a clergyman called?
9. What kind of drink is Amontillado?
10. How many tears are there in four and a half decades?
11. Where is Lord Nelson buried?
12. What are the two ingredients of marzipan?
13. Who was the more unpleasant Doctor Jekyll or Mr Hyde?
14. Which pink bird sleeps on one leg?
15. Which mountain overlooks Cape Town in South Africa?
16. Which colony ceased to be British in June, 1997?
17. Conference and Comice are types of which fruit?
18. What colour is angelica?
19. What is the wife of a Sultan called?
20. Which British Studios were famed for their horror movies in the 1950s,60s and 70s?
and again, if you still want more, click on this Guess the Artist link.
Answers to Quiz 3
2. Threadneedle Street
10. 45 (it should have read ‘years’ not ‘tears’ ) Sorry!
11. St Paul’s Cathedral
12. Sugar and almonds
13. Mr Hyde
15. Table Mountain
16. Hong Kong
Answers to ‘Guess The Artist’
8. Van Gough
15. Leonardo da Vinci
Quiz 2 (Answers below)
1. Which Kirsty replaced Sue Lawley on ‘Desert Island Discs’?
2. The Abbey Theatre is in which Irish City?
3. Shrewsbury is the county town of which county?
4. Which animal was Androcles very friendly with?
5. How many notes are there in an octave?
6. What colour is magenta?
7. What do the initials plc stand for after a company name?
8. Where does a purser usually work?
9. What name is given to a young seal?
10. St Swithin’s Day is in which month?
11. Which day of the week is the Muslim Holy Day?
12. Which fruit is used to make kirsch?
13. Who was born John Eric Bartholomew?
14. Which country produces Gruyere cheese?
15. Francis Drake’s ship ‘Pelican’ was renamed what?
16. Who was the first cricketer to win TV’s ‘Strictly Come Dancing’?
17. Andrea Levy wrote the award-winning novel titled ‘Small’ what?
18. Which country was called Albion by Greeks and Romans?
19. In which country is the battle site of El Alamein?
20. Where do mosquitoes lay their eggs?
and again, if you still want more, click on this Flower Quiz link.
Answers to Quiz 2
1. Kirsty Young
6. Purplish Red
7. Public Limited Company
8. On a ship
9. A pup
13. Eric Morcambe
15. Golden Hind
16. Darren Gough
20. In water
Answers to Flower Quiz
3. Scarlet Pimpernel
8. Red Hot Poker
10. Bells of Ireland
13. Fat Hen
14. French Marigold
16. Livingstone Daisy
17. Morning glory
19. Fever Few
21. Marsh Mallow
24. London Pride
25. Busy Lizzie
32. Grape Hyacinth
34. Lily of the Valley
35. Love in a Mist
37. Poor Man’s Orchid
39. Sweet William
40. Golden Rod
41. Sweet Pea
43. Four Leaf Clover
45. Old Man’s Beard
47. Jacob’s Ladder
48. Creeping Jenny
49. Sea Holly
50. Love Lies Bleeding
Quiz 1 (Answers below)
1. What goes with Parsley & Sage in the Simon & Garfunkel song?
2. Which musical was made about Eva Peron?
3. What was the full name of the satirical TV programme abbreviated to TW3?
4. Mont Blanc stands in France and which other country?
5. What is the largest structure ever made by living creatures?
6. What is a Blenheim Orange?
7. What is the name of the cave found on the Scottish island of Staffa?
8. How long must a person be dead to qualify for a blue plaque?
9. What links Terry Wogan and the Brighouse & Rastrick Brass Band?
10. Rupert Bear is linked with which newspaper?
11. What is measured by a pedometer?
12. How many decades are there in a millennium?
13. Which country was formerly ruled by President Tito?
14. What is another name for the linden tree?
15. Other than John Cleese’s character what was the other Basil in ‘Fawlty Towers’?
16. Which day’s child is ‘full of grace’ according to the traditional rhyme?
17. What colour is sable in heraldry?
18. What was Billie Jean King’s surname before she married?
19. According to the saying what is ‘nine points of the Law’?
20. What do the Americans call a dinner jacket?
and if this still leaves you wanting more, click on this What Dog link for the table-top round.
Answers for Quiz 1 and What Dog
Quiz 1 What Dog
1. Rosemary & Thyme 1. Dalmation
2. Evita 2. Bloodhound
3. That was the week that was 3. Pomeranian
4. Italy 4. Bulldog
5. The Great Barrier Reef 5. Whippet
6. An Apple 6. Lhasa Apso
7. Fingal’s Cave 7. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
8. 20 years 8. Golden Retriever
9. The Floral Dance 9. Bassett Hound
10. Daily Express 10. Boxer
11. Walking distance 11. Bichon Frise
12. 100 12. Clumber Spaniel
13. Yugoslavia 13. Dandy Didmont
14. Lime 14. Saluki
15. A rat 15. Beddlington Terrier
The group continues to flourish and we now have 30 to 40 people coming to the quiz nights including several new members. We meet on a Thursday evening at 7.30pm every fortnight and although at times the questions can be challenging we really have a good laugh at our ignorance!!! Attendance is £1 for a short time to build up funds to ensure we are able to continue giving the outstanding prizes to our winning team (don’t get too excited, it’s only a small bottle of wine for each of the team members!)
Our Quiz nights at Anlaby Village Hall continue successfully. We have welcomed a few new members who have returned (always a good sign) and ample parking is available near to the Village Hall. Thanks to everybody who attends for helping us to swiftly set-up and clear-away.
The Quiz will take whatever format the quizmaster-for-the-night decides. Several people have already offered to lead a Quiz but any more offers are always welcome. To try to keep the event as social as possible (i.e. we will not be ‘Eggheads’!!!!!!!) teams will be arranged when people arrive each night so you will have the chance to get to know other people and not worry about coming on your own without a ‘pre-formed’ team. Remember you don’t have to come every time and you don’t need to be part of a team, these are organised on the night. It is amazing to realise that despite the number of quizzes we very seldom get any repeated questions. Our Christmas Quiz broke all records for attendance with 48 Quizzers plus the Quizmaster. We were fighting with the Christmas tree for space!
If you like Quizzes please come along anytime and join in. New members are always made to feel very welcome. We don’t take things too seriously and a fun night can be guaranteed.
For more information, please ring Chris Watson on 659773, or contact her by email by clicking on the 'Bird' on the top right corner of this page.