There are usually 2 French Classes on offer - Intermediate and Advanced. The atmosphere in both is relaxed, supportive and friendly with a good mix of members. The venue is the Northern Arts Club, 8 Bon Accord Square in the centre of Aberdeen.
PROSPECTIVE CLASS MEMBERS
PLEASE NOTE - Unfortunately due to illness, classes may not run until February 2020.
Can you help? Volunteers, including native French speakers, are sought to assist in teaching the classes on an ad hoc or regular basis. Please get in touch with any suggestions.
There is a class size maximum and both classes fill up fast! Feel free to flag your interest via the email blue bird icon from this page and you will be waitlisted until a vacancy occurs.
COSTS - In addition to the annual U3A fee, class fees are payable per term, once the amount is advised.
Both of the above are paid direct to the U3A Treasurer using an enrolment form available from the Summer newsletter or downloadable from the website.
PLUS -£2 per term contribution towards handouts & sundry costs payable direct to the class leader at the start of each term (September & February).
Usually, classes meet formally from September until June, in the afternoons, of the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month. There are 2 terms - Term 1 runs Sept-Jan & Term 2 -Feb-June.
** Dates to be advised as due to illness, classes may not commence till February 2020.
1. INTERMEDIATE CLASS - 13.00 - 14.00 hrs
This class is suitable for those who attended the
Beginners' class in 2016 - 17 or those who would like to
refresh their competence before moving to an Advaced class.
Please note that the course book for the 2019-20 year is -
Façon de Parler (5th edition) by Angela Ariès &
Dominique Debney, published by John Murray Learning.
2. ADVANCED CLASS - 14.15 - 15.45 hrs
To get the most out of this class, you must already
have a basic understanding of speaking French.
Usually the class includes a brief revision of
grammar, but the emphasis is on reading, listening
and conversing in French on topical news and culture.
We also prepare some thoughts on a topic to share in
** WANTED **
- Further Ideas for topics for Group discussion.
- volunteers to present a 15 minute topic to the
Please advise if you will be absent from a class. Use the blue bird icon on this page to send an email. On return to the class, please askfor any missed handouts.
OTHER SOURCES OF INTEREST:
- DVD Library.Please remember to return these.
- Petit Nicolas videos on You Tube for your amusement
- podcasts in French on www.joinusinfrance.com
- lawlessfrench.com (see link opposite) to practice your listening skills.
- French music video clips of Francis Cabrel, Louane, Michel Sardou, Jacques Brel, Guy Béart, Charles Trenet on YouTube music.
- For topical global news in French, have a look at the French Press link opposite - afp.
- For several live French tv channels, try France TV Pro, Les JT de 13 heures on TV1 or France 24. Please note this website appears to only be available for Apple software.
- Check out Salianne' s blog of interesting articles from link opposite.
- Locally to build on listening skills, look out for French films with sub-titles when these are shown in the local cinemas e.g. The Belmont (see link opposite) or talks at the Aberdeen branch of the Franco-Scottish Society (see link).