There are 2 French Classes on offer - Intermediate and Advanced. The atmosphere in both is relaxed, supportive and friendly with a good mix of members. The venue is the Northern Arts Club, 8 Bon Accord Square in the centre of Aberdeen.
PROSPECTIVE CLASS MEMBERS
Please note that we have a class size maximum and both classes are now full for 2018 - 2019. However, feel free to flag your interest via the email blue bird icon from this page and you will be waitlisted until a vacancy occurs.
Can you help? Volunteers, including native French speakers, are sought to assist in teaching the classes on an ad hoc or regular basis. Please contact Margaret with any suggestions.
COSTS - In addition to the annual U3A fee
- Intermediate classes are £12 per term
- Advanced classes are £18 per term
Both of the above are paid direct to the U3A Treasurer using an enrolment form available from the Summer newsletter or downloadable from the website.
PLUS -£2 per term contribution towards handouts & sundry costs payable direct to the class leader at the start of each term (September & February).
The classes meet formally from September until June, in the afternoons, of the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month. There are 2 terms - Sept-Jan & Feb-June.
DATES 2018/19 - TERM 2
10 & 24 June(lunch)
Next Class - 10th June
** HOMEWORK FOR NEXT CLASS - 10th June **
1. INTERMEDIATE CLASS
A. Learn the conditional tense on p319-320. Do exercise 15.4.
2. ADVANCED CLASS
A. Make up 2 questions in French including the answers to
form part of a quiz.
** WANTED **
- Volunteer to organise class lunch on 24/6.
- Further Ideas for topics for Group discussion.
- volunteers to present a 15 minute topic to the
Please advise Margaret if you will be absent from a class. Use the blue bird icon on this page to send an email. On return to the class, please ask Margaret for any missed handouts.
Classes on offer this year will be as follows:
A. INTERMEDIATE -13.00 - 14.00 hours
This course will cater for those who attended the Beginners class 2016-17 or those who would like to refresh their memory of basic French before going on to the Advanced class. It is based on the book, Easy French - Step by Step by Myrna Bell Rochester published by McGraw Hill. The book is essential for the class and is available from Amazon or local booksellers.
B. ADVANCED Class -14.15 - 15.45 hours
To get the most out of this class, you must already have a basic proficiency in speaking French. Usually, the class will include a brief session of grammar revision, but the emphasis is on reading, listening and conversing in French on topical items of French news and culture. We also prepare some thoughts on a topic to share in class.
OTHER SOURCES OF INTEREST:
- DVD Library provided by Margaret. Please remember to return
- Petit Nicolas videos on You Tube for your amusement
- podcasts in French on www.joinusinfrance.com
- lawlessfrench.com (see link opposite) to practice your listening skills.
- French music video clips of Francis Cabrel, Louane, Michel Sardou, Jacques Brel, Guy Béart, Charles Trenet on YouTube music.
- For topical global news in French, have a look at the French Press link opposite - afp.
- For several live French tv channels, try France TV Pro, Les JT de 13 heures on TV1 or France 24. Please note this website appears to only be available for Apple software.
- Check out Salianne' s blog of interesting articles from link opposite.
- Locally to build on listening skills, look out for French films with sub-titles when these are shown in the local cinemas e.g. The Belmont (see link opposite) or talks at the Aberdeen branch of the Franco-Scottish Society (see link).